"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Help on Sir John D’Abernon the 3rd Kit  (Read 10873 times)

Steven Good

• New Forum Member
Help on Sir John D’Abernon the 3rd Kit
« on: 2017-10-03, 21:19:05 »
Hello, I'm looking to get into Harness. I've read all i can about how to get into armor and where to start. So after months of researching and living on effigies and Brasses website, I've found the Brass of Sir John D'Abernon the 3rd. From what I've read The Armour depicted is from the 1350's. Now i understand that the first place to start is Arming wear and i plan on starting with the Gambeson/aketon/padded jack but i don't know what Type would be contemporary to the time period. From the Picture i have posted Just over the Knee it looks as if the gambeson is peeking out from under the Maille. The Garment seems to have a vertical channels that come to the mid thigh. This is where I'm lost because, to my Knowledge the only survival of padded arming wear from the 14th century is the Charles De Blois Pourpoint which seems to be much shorter(mid thigh instead of the top of the knee) and with Round channels instead

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Help on Sir John D’Abernon the 3rd Kit
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-11, 17:35:25 »
It almost seems like an aketon of an early 14th century fashion, that is; a gambeson accustomed to a long mail shirt style. to clarify: Im not saying he is using an earlier style. It is likely the style is meant to just help protect the thighs, as gambeson is a decent defense. 
whats the difference in the channels?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-11, 22:22:37 »
what is your total budget?

Will this be for show or fighting?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Steven Good

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-12, 21:00:46 »
It almost seems like an aketon of an early 14th century fashion, that is; a gambeson accustomed to a long mail shirt style. to clarify: Im not saying he is using an earlier style. It is likely the style is meant to just help protect the thighs, as gambeson is a decent defense. 
whats the difference in the channels?
i only mention the Channels because the Surviving example from the 14th century has horizontal looping channels 

Steven Good

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-12, 21:03:45 »
what is your total budget?

Will this be for show or fighting?
My budget isn't very high but i also plan on making the gambeson. and i plan on using it for living history. I do plan on making a fighting kit for SCA aswell but not at this time 

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2017-10-12, 21:28:53 »
nice, i started on this kit, never finished it though lol

Steven Good

• New Forum Member