"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Help me start out?  (Read 7624 times)

Zachariah Campbell

Help me start out?
« on: 2017-09-21, 10:53:29 »
I'm new to modern chivalry, and while i have been interested in this sort of stuff for a while, i am new to HEMA in all its forms. I know a fee places around the town where i could go to learn but i have a problem. All of them want you to be over sixteen. A majority want over eighteen. I am only fourteen. I know the basics from some vids on youtube, (like the sword stances video skallagrim made. ) but much past that i dont know. How can i learn? I have two sparring swords (rawlings synthetics) and my brother practices with me but we both are equally lost.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Help me start out?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-21, 15:21:46 »
OK.

First- Were are you located?
Second- Did they explain the age thing?
Third- Have you looked into youth combat with the SCA?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-21, 16:03:04 »
With a partner and a couple synthetic swords you can do a lot. The only thing you need is a little direction and you can find that in a structured form online from schools such as http://swordcarolina.com/ Sword Carolina which has an online curriculum for those wanting to learn German longsword based on the earlier KDF treatise. Then if your interested in the Italian tradition you can find an online curriculum through Duello https://duello.tv/. Also I recommend building a pell to do solo practice with when your brother or you aren't available for drills. Follow one of the above paths, practice drills over and over until their ingrained into your mind and become habitual. You don't have to worry about sparring until you have the extra money to buy the additional gear or you can spar so long as your brother and you pull your cuts - in other words, don't follow through. This method of sparring is used a lot by the Joachim Meyer guys in Texas.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Zachariah Campbell

« Reply #3 on: 2017-09-24, 12:27:21 »
Thorstein: No i havent looked in SCA but i will, thanks. Im near brisbane, Qld, Australia.
Jason77: Thanks for the tips and recommendations. Have been meaning to build a pell for a while but i havent got a chance to yet but will do soon. Also saving up for some armor for sparring. We do use full contact sparring, and but the only real big problem is being hit on the fingers. Body and head blows we can tough out pretty well otherwise, but proper equipment would be good.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2017-09-25, 23:58:08 »
Who else do you work with? SCA? HEMA? HMB?
Fall down seven, get up eight.