Main > The Round Table

Pirate vs. Knight

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir William:
I didn't even find it all that entertaining...when you know they're basically lying to you, it is hard to stomach.  I am reasonably sure not every knight was of champion mettle, just like I am reasonably sure that not every pirate was agile or well trained in the arts of land warfare...but the problem is, that any Joe Public watching the show is going to believe this crap because -

a - he saw it on tv
b - they used a hi-tech computer to run complex algorithms to come up with the results
c - the testosterone level is almost prohibitive to ordered, intellectual conversation/debate
d - the producers are unlearned sellouts w/regard to all things medieval, but they do know how to cater to our idiot populace

I guess we're in agreement, Sir Edward.

They had one where it was a gladiator (or Roman soldier) vs a samurai - I would've chosen the samurai myself simply because I feel they would've prevailed but the Japanese guys they had there were so high on themselves it was ridiculous to me.  Far as I'm concerned, no sensei should ever stoop to laying insults to elevate his own art, it isn't necessary and makes you look foolish, IMO.

Anyway, they were going on and on about how the Japanese bow was such a great and powerful weapon and how he could put an arrow into the eye (and I do know that archery requires skill and finesse, I've tried it) but come on, from 20 feet away at the most?

The smug look on his face almost did me in.  lol

Sir James A:
A while back they discussed how they do the scenarios. One of the guys (the laptop one?) wrote some software that does some sort of voodoo based on the effectiveness of values that they assign to the weapons from their "testing".

It does not take skill into consideration.

It does not take armor into consideration, except if specifically done during the weapon testing, which is to say, rarely ever and inconsistently.

It does not take multiple opponents on the field into consideration, except the specifically 5 vs 5 episodes.

It does not take surprise into consideration, which obviously hinders the ninja / stealth warrior group in that it was a trademark portion of their arsenal.

If it were a true "match", the pirate would have had his booty handed to him. ;)

There were a couple cool spots in the few episodes I watched (anything with ancient warriors) - like the guy who was superb with a bow - I won't spoil it by telling what it was, but I was impressed by it - and my grandfather was VA state champion in archery numerous years.

Robert Hinds:
I have to agree with what everyone has said so far.

I have not seen the particular episode being discussed but I have seen 2-3 of the other episodes. The one I remember most was Al Capone's gang vs. Jessie James...Jessie James won despite the fact the Capone gang had grenades and a Thompson SMG. It was ridiculous.

As Sir William has mentioned, the worst part is that people beleive this show as fact. Then they argue with you because the people on the show "proved" it with "tests".

Also From what I've seen in commercials for the show and on the DVD boxes of the show, the knights armour isn't historically put together at all. The pic I saw had a guy dressed in full maille with a 16thC burgonet and a viking sheild (could of also been a 16thC target). It's not as important or as bad as the other problems with the show but it just annoys me when they get armour screwed up.  ;)

Sir Edward:
I already knew it was fishy when they considered the swords to be equal. True, both a cutlass and an arming sword can cut through a pig. But they completely ignored the fact that for their experiment, the cutlass would have to go through mail and plate, whereas the arming sword would not. Likewise, the efficacy of the boarding axe was completely hinged on strikes against a helmet. They invalidated their own tests by ignoring variables and over-simplifying.

I have a feeling they like to "help" the underdog.

Sir William:
Agreed...but a pirate besting a knight?  Come on...even if the knight wore no armor, his superior skills and training would still see him best the pirate, I'll say 7 times out of 10. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version