"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: What is MGGF?  (Read 7953 times)

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
What is MGGF?
« on: 2017-08-30, 23:21:16 »
I've been going over my wife's family tree and I notice that many of her ancestors from Kent have the titles MGGF 12 or some other number pending the generation. They were English gentry so I assume it has something to do with that but for the life of me I can't figure out what it means. Can someone please enlighten me?
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: What is MGGF?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-01, 19:33:59 »
Do you have a picture of the page in question handy so as to help with context?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
Re: What is MGGF?
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-02, 17:52:24 »
I figured out is just means "my great grandfather" (MGGF) and a number indicates the extent of "great" by generations. My wife has a cool Tree. On her maternal grandmothers side she is descended from a Sir Richard Page and their are a lot of Lady's and Sir's thereafter. On her maternal grandfathers side the line directly connects to Hugh de Catte and subsequently the Cattlans who were Knights and Gentry. My family lines are pretty boring in comparison so I tease my wife all the time that she settled for a commoner.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho