"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: My first real anvil  (Read 9353 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
My first real anvil
« on: 2017-03-20, 02:49:46 »
I finally got my hands on a "real" anvil.  :)  Although Vulcan anvils are considered the "bottom on the line" for real anvils, it's way better than the Harbor Freight ASO (anvil shaped object) that I've been beating the heck out of for years.

A friend from work was cleaning out his relative's barn and brought it to me because he knew I liked "medieval stuff and armor".   8)

I have a thread on the AA asking for input on a reasonable price to pay him.  It's a 1968 100 pound Vulcan #10 in good shape.  I managed to make a stand for it this weekend as well!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
Re: My first real anvil
« Reply #1 on: 2017-03-20, 20:13:22 »
Very nice! I don't know what you should pay him but anvils command a pretty penny. Can you barter something? Maybe offer to make him something with your new anvil.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2017-03-20, 23:20:21 »
If you have a blacksmith or farrier near by call and ask them. I know some guys that have dropped a lot on old anvils, always say that it was worth it in the long run.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2017-03-21, 03:17:18 »
The general consensus on AA was about $2 per pound for a Vulcan #10.  I offered my coworker $200 today and he declined, refusing to take anything more than $1 per pound.

So, for $100 I'm the new owner of a used, low-end anvil.  I couldn't be happier!  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-21, 17:55:27 »
That's awesome!! Congrats on your new anvil!

and he went lower than your offer, I bet he's just happy it went to a good home and is out of his way now.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-21, 18:53:27 »
Nice catch!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2017-08-05, 17:20:52 »
wow nice, did you get the Jenga stand too?