"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 9168 times)

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
And so it begins
« on: 2017-03-15, 18:48:58 »
So I have been off on vacation this week and have been doing some serious research into a kit to start. I have narrowed the focus towards late 1200's to early 1300's as a start point.

As I am researching , I notice a lot of images link back to Pintrest . What a great resource! Some great views of reenactors and period art work helping me to narrow it down some.

Had been leaning towards a Knight of Malta in the black with white Maltese Cross as I had spent a long time as a fire fighter/EMT. Thought it looked good, and it was a good way to start out. Then all of a sudden a painting of Robert the Bruce pops up with a group of Knights . Hmmm my family was there with him.

So after a bit of research and reading I am setting out on my quest to create a knight based on an ancestor. What better way to be a part of a living history group?  plus I am enjoying getting in touch with my past and finding out more about it, as well as the history of that era.

here's to the past, and future!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #1 on: 2017-03-16, 02:57:12 »
... So after a bit of research and reading I am setting out on my quest to create a knight based on an ancestor. What better way to be a part of a living history group?  plus I am enjoying getting in touch with my past and finding out more about it, as well as the history of that era.

here's to the past, and future!

Let the fun begin!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2017-03-16, 18:08:21 »
Charge!!!!

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2017-03-16, 18:57:32 »
Have you watched Secrets of Great British Castles? It's on Netflix now and should give you many ideas.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-17, 23:14:48 »
Thanks for the heads up! I found a movie called Outcast on there with Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christenson . Odd kind of movie about Knights , but it was rather fun.

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-24, 02:12:15 »
So today I find a picture on a Scottish reenactment groups page. A knight of Clan Munro! Best lucky find I have had today!

Also I highly recommend the Secrets of Great Britains Castles. Some great historical info and tours of castles I had never heard of.  Hopefully I will get to visit some one day.

Edit: couldn't get the picture to attach. So I just made it my profile picture.  Some days technology mocks me
« Last Edit: 2017-03-24, 02:17:39 by Bayard_Davis-Munro »

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2017-04-05, 14:21:51 »
Great British castles with Dan Jones is awesome! the first episode features some well dressed re-enactors killing St. Thomas Becket. Their kits are on point for the time frame.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2017-04-07, 14:52:01 »
That was a heck of an episode. The kits were great as well! So rare to see that in some of these productions.

Going to have to start up on season 2 now.