Main > The Armoury

Starting my kit

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Cedric on 2017-03-05, 23:34:02 ---Are the Lord of Battles, GDFB, etc. armors worth considering at all?  I thought of maybe using them to purchase a 16g breastplate, but I don't know how much work would be involved to get it to fit properly.

--- End quote ---
Id say don't bother with them. save your money and get something better.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Naythan on 2017-03-06, 02:02:12 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Cedric on 2017-03-05, 23:34:02 ---Are the Lord of Battles, GDFB, etc. armors worth considering at all?  I thought of maybe using them to purchase a 16g breastplate, but I don't know how much work would be involved to get it to fit properly.

--- End quote ---
Id say don't bother with them. save your money and get something better.

--- End quote ---

I second Naythan.  The helm in my avatar is a GDFB that I still fight in.  The amount of modifications I had to make for SCA combat safety were significant.  At that time I had no other options and no money to speak of.  These days there are some Ukrainian and Indian armorers doing wonderful entry level / mid-range work at reasonable prices.

Sir Wolf:
pictures.....................?

Steven Good:
I'm no expert but, I would determine your wealth. Are you a poor a man or do you have a bit of wealth or are you mercenary. These things can determine the amount of protection you have. So once you determine that part, Id just go with a helmet . Probably something open faced (Kettle helmet/open Faced Bascinet) then after determining your "wealth" Id determine my torso protection. This could be anywhere from a Standalone Padded armour to a brigandine/Coat of Plates. Personally this is the route i would choose.

Sir Nate:
Since you are trying to a foot soldier from late 14th century, I'm sure you can get a short sleeved mail hauberk. Then you would want a brigandine and a bascinet with an aventail. Maybe not even a visor-less bascinet, but a sallet skull. Then hourglass gauntlets. Thats it as far as I know. Don't forget the most important parts are the under clothes and the gambeson.
If you are trying to portray a 13th century knight, you should know that the hauberk should come down to your knees, be long sleeved as well as have mail mittens/gloves and a coif. You also need a different kind of gambeson. The type of mail shirt for late 14th century, won't be as long as earlier hauberks, and should only come just past the elbows on the sleeves.
Your also talking about different sword styles. Maybe you could get away with a foot soldier using a late 13th century sword, or early 14th.
It also depends what you want to use the kits for, is the 13th century knight for a renfaire? then you can get away with just having the 14th century mail shirt, and a great helm. You could use that kind of shirt for a Man at Arms, or wealthy soldier as oppose to a knight. But then you should get a kettle or nasal helmet instead of a bucket helm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version