"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: A Knight's Workout  (Read 12745 times)

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
A Knight's Workout
« on: 2017-02-28, 22:08:06 »
Following is an article that appeared on Mental Floss: http://mentalfloss.com/article/86084/10-workout-tips-14th-century-knight

10 Workout Tips From a 14th Century Knight

Bored with your typical gym circuit? Interested in CrossFit and American Ninja Warrior, but perhaps with more of a medieval twist? Have we got the workout for you.

It comes courtesy of Jean Le Maingre, better known as "Boucicaut," a French knight renowned for his brashness and fighting skill. Born circa 1366, he fought in his first battle at an age when most kids today are still navigating middle school. In 1390, around the time of his third Crusade, he challenged knights from across Christendom to try and defeat him (and two other knights) in a tournament, including single combat. Over the course of 30 days, Boucicaut clashed with some of Europe’s best fighters at Saint-Inglevert, near Calais. The three French knights, led by Boucicaut, emerged victorious, and he was soon after proclaimed marshal of France.

In addition to extensive sword training, coordination, and his willingness to engage in the awful, bloody business of hand-to-hand combat, Boucicaut credited a strict fitness regimen for his battlefield prowess. Combining cardio with strength training, it’s a rigorous workout—and even harder when you consider that he did it fully armored (though medieval armor wasn't as cumbersome as you might think).

Here are the various stages of Boucicaut’s workout, courtesy of his biography, written in 1409. The exact sequence and duration of each are unclear, so feel free to tailor them to your personal fitness needs.

1. WALL CLIMB

Position yourself between two closely spaced walls and shimmy up as high as you can using your feet and hands.

2. SIDE HORSE VAULT

Find and carefully approach a horse. Place one hand on its back (or atop the saddle) and the other on its neck. Vault onto the horse.

3. TWO-MAN HORSE VAULT

Similar to the above, except have your squire (or a trustworthy friend) seated on the horse; grab their sleeve and leap onto the horse in front of said squire.

4. SOMERSAULT

Perform ground somersaults one after another. If you’re wearing armor, take off your helmet first.

5. HAMMER SWING

Take a sledgehammer and swing it about. Note your surroundings. Splitting wood with an ax is a suitable alternative.

6. STONE THROW

Pick up a large stone. Throw it. Repeat as necessary. (This was one of Boucicaut's favorite childhood games, which no doubt served him well on the battlefield.)

7. PUNCHING PRACTICE

To toughen your hands, repeatedly punch the ground, a wall, or another punchable surface.

8. LADDER CLIMB

Take a tall ladder and lean it against a tree. Climb up the bottom side using only your hands. Added challenge: If wearing chain mail, do as Boucicaut did and remove it with one hand at the top while holding on with the other.

9. DANCE FOR YOUR LIFE

Dance vigorously and often to your favorite lute melody or hip-hop album while wearing mail armor.

10. FUN RUN

Enjoy a long run. If wearing armor, wave to your neighbors so they know you mean them no harm.

All art by Daniel Meeker.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
Re: A Knight's Workout
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-28, 22:17:15 »
Most of you have probably already seen this video but just in case its pretty awesome...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI&feature=youtu.be
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #2 on: 2017-03-01, 15:29:16 »
Thanks for the share, definitely an inspiration for us to get into shape.   
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2017-03-02, 18:14:29 »
I love number 4 and its advice to remove the helmet.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-02, 23:12:44 »
What about carry a bucket full of dirt up a mountain like I did?  ;D
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-04, 03:18:33 »
That would for sure help cardio! ;D

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2017-03-05, 02:45:49 »

Yup. 3 asthma attacks on the course and I didn't die once.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2017-03-05, 06:00:40 »
Crap, I'm over three bills in full armour and my coat of plates is outa buckle holes...   :(
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: 2017-03-06, 23:26:56 »

Yup. 3 asthma attacks on the course and I didn't die once.

Yikes!!!

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2017-03-07, 00:58:01 »
Eh, I lived. The Lake Tahoe area has tried to kill me dead provide me with great deal of entertainment a few times over the decades but has yet to succeed.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-07, 01:00:22 by Thorsteinn »

Bayard_Davis-Munro

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2017-03-07, 15:17:27 »
That is the spirit!! I always look at near death experiences as adventures!

Fun stories for the grandkids someday  ;)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2017-04-05, 14:22:34 »
lol
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #12 on: 2017-04-21, 12:59:02 »
That's funny. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)