Main > The Round Table

Quote from Geoffri de Charney - Talking Points

<< < (2/4) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Why is humility important that it is repeated throughout the quotes?

Humility is the odd companion of courage and bravery. Knowing your limits and when to surpass them is an important thing, but also knowing when to hold back to save yourself from unneeded risk or damage. Jeremy Clarkson's arrogance cost him his job at Top Gear. James May's & Richard Hammond's humility saved the concept and brought about the possibility of The Grand Tour for they knew that they were good and could do Top Gear without Clarkson, but were humble enough to know in their hearts it just wasn't worth it to them.

Is there a valid read to keep a secret to yourself because you will have more control?

"Lesson number one: Trust no one. Minute God crapped out the third caveman, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them." -Col. Hunter Gathers, Venture Brothers.

Why should we expect to have victory and not defeat, isn't defeat a good lesson to learn from? 

Depends on where you lose. If you lose a fight in training, you get hurt. If you lose a fight in war, you die. Cry in the salle, laugh on the battlefield.

Why should we not talk too much, to prevent bad speech? 

I'm told I talk to much, heck I have over 70 video's of me talking online, so I feel distinctly unqualified to answer. However as some have discovered about me I may talk to you a lot, only for you to figure out later that I actually said very little. Other times I talk very little, and say quite a bit.

Should we be considerate in our speech and conduct towards others?

Yes and no.

Yes: As Hillel said "That which is hateful to you, do not do to others. That is the soul of Torah".

No: "Sometimes you just gotta let out your inner asshole and embrace him with open arms." -Me, about 2002.

jason77:
Thorsteinn - what is your YT channel? I searched for you but came up with nada.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Humility is the odd companion of courage and bravery. Knowing your limits and when to surpass them is an important thing, but also knowing when to hold back to save yourself from unneeded risk or damage
--- End quote ---

In simple words, discernment is what is needed to maintain humility.

--- Quote ---If you lose a fight in training, you get hurt. If you lose a fight in war, you die. Cry in the salle, laugh on the battlefield.
--- End quote ---

Good saying right there.

--- Quote ---I'm told I talk to much, heck I have over 70 video's of me talking online, so I feel distinctly unqualified to answer. However as some have discovered about me I may talk to you a lot, only for you to figure out later that I actually said very little. Other times I talk very little, and say quite a bit.

--- End quote ---

That is true.  Knowing when to talk and not to talk is a fine line in of itself.  Yet silence allows us to listen to more without missing out on anything.

--- Quote ---Yes and no.

Yes: As Hillel said "That which is hateful to you, do not do to others. That is the soul of Torah".

No: "Sometimes you just gotta let out your inner asshole and embrace him with open arms." -Me, about 2002.
--- End quote ---

I see. 

(The quote from Bavli Talmud technically reads as הלל גייריה אמר לו דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד זו היא כל התורה כולה ואידך פירושה הוא זיל גמור.  "That which is hateful to you do not do to another; that is the entire Torah, and the rest is its interpretation. Go study.")  Good point by the way.

Lol, too funny. 

Just waiting for everyone else to have their say before I give my personal answers.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: jason77 on 2017-02-17, 22:57:38 ---Thorsteinn - what is your YT channel? I searched for you but came up with nada.

--- End quote ---

PM'ed.

Sir Nate:
"No one should fall into despair from cowardice nor be too confident."

I don't want to do an assignment its boring.... a few days later....  I can't do it its too hard.... day of due date:  I WANT TO COMPLETE THIS BUT I CAN'T, ALAS THE DESPAIR!.       To be too confident- I'm done the assignment, and I don't need to look over it again/check my work its perfect. 

"Take care not to be so greedy as to take what belongs to others without good cause."

Im not going to take my buddies castle. Im going to take the frenchmans castle for it belongs to my King, Deus Vult.

"Be sure that you care less for death than about shame. Those who put their lives in danger with the deliberate intention of avoiding shame are strong in all things"

This one I have a more serious response to. Is it better to be taken prisoner or fight another day? is that shameful in Chivalry? or would Id rather die. Does it depend who is taking my prisoner? "Is it the King or that low status knight William Marshal? Is it bad to surrender to the marshal as he seems to defeat everybody"(taken in context of early days of William's tourny'ing)

"What you do not know, you should ask with due humility to be taught it."

If you don't know something, shut up and listen.

Now to answer your question

"My questions for discussion are the following: Why is humility important that it is repeated throughout the quotes?  Is there a valid read to keep a secret to yourself because you will have more control?  Why should we expect to have victory and not defeat, isn't defeat a good lesson to learn from?  Why should we not talk too much, to prevent bad speech?  Should we be considerate in our speech and conduct towards others?  "

In response to expecting Victory and not defeat, I think this could be thought of as a Knight having faith in God. As Knights were Christian, actually trusting in God to lead you to Victory, will lead you to Victory(in the faith of course)If you end up losing anyway, you obviously failed in prayer, faith, or you have sinned in some way. In the eyes of a knight, that is to say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version