Main > The Campaign

A year and a half in the SCA

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Rodney:
Great to hear from you AP!

Your travels, trials & tribulations are the fabric of your SCA experience.  Most everyone I know in the SCA has experienced situations not too dissimilar from yours.  Remember that fresh wounds sting the worst and that old wounds heal.  A similar rift took place in my Barony during the late 80's / early 90's.  People aged, moved on, had children, grew wiser and, in the long run, we all came out better for it.  The process took 20 years, but who's counting.   ;)

Don't fret about your kit.  Everything will come together in time.

Congratulations on the news of a baby in just seven short months!   :) 

My experience with two children is that they will turn your world upside down, in a wonderful way.  With a 4th grader and a 6th grader, I rarely make fighter's practice and hit one or two major events a year.  My life consists of getting someone to school, football, baseball, wrestling, tennis, band, softball, basketball, volleyball, orchestra, badminton, a birthday party, or a sleepover all while trying to hold down a job, remembering to hug my wife and not lose my mind!  The SCA has definitely taken a back seat these last few years, and that's OK.  It makes the events that I'm able to attend all the more special.

AnsalonPaladin:
Got some new gear recently. A kettle helm, a new gambeson, some steel arms that I'll probably never wear, and the corrazina I mentioned before. Only about 880 bucks in all, but given the fact that these are all purchases made in the last month it's definitely facilitating some Spartanesque living for the time being (=

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: AnsalonPaladin on 2017-02-21, 21:06:16 ---Got some new gear recently. A kettle helm, a new gambeson, some steel arms that I'll probably never wear, and the corrazina I mentioned before. Only about 880 bucks in all, but given the fact that these are all purchases made in the last month it's definitely facilitating some Spartanesque living for the time being (=

--- End quote ---

Sweet!  Is the kettle helm for fighting, dress or both?

AnsalonPaladin:
Oh it's definitely for fighting. It's a spangen design so the top is 14 gauge with 4 additional 14 gauge bands reinforcing it. Making it...7 gauge? If metrics weren't so cruel...It's got an aventail over the bar grille, and it's pretty sick nasty looking. Truthfully it's out of period for 14C kit but it blends in surprisingly well, passes the 10 foot rule if you will. It was made by Bareena Kaif, the only Indian Armorer I trust on the planet. The guy is killing the industry right now. I got it for 255 bucks WITH riveted aventail. Other than padding it incorrectly and getting my nose smashed the other night it's a fabulous helm. Will attach a pic of new kit for reference. I am in the red continental kit with the Saint George shield at a local practice tourney here in Richmond.

AnsalonPaladin:
Additional shot of myself and my pregnant lady to showcase my German inspired painted kit and how the spangen kettle design falls out of period for the Corrazina.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version