"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Research help for info on 14th cen helm.  (Read 5730 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Research help for info on 14th cen helm.
« on: 2017-01-15, 20:44:31 »
So that nasty flu going about has made my brain no go. I'm looking at this helm and flat forgetting where it is from and when. I am starting to fall a bit in love with it. Can anyone helm me? Got any other thoughts on it?

It's a form of klappavisor bacinet and the smith is Jiri Klepac. Here's the pic.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
Re: Research help for info on 14th cen helm.
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-16, 19:18:26 »
IIRC, it's a German style helmet last quarter of the 14th century.
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-17, 06:33:54 »
IIRC, it's a German style helmet last quarter of the 14th century.

I second that thought.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2017-01-17, 23:35:45 »
That particular visor is a copy of the visor in the Museo Stibbert in Florence Italy.  I tend to associate that narrow shaped visor on a klappvisor style bascinet with Italian artwork of the turn of the 14th/15th century but I admittedly haven't really looked elsewhere for them.

Detail from a Fresco in Palazzo Trinci, 1410
« Last Edit: 2017-01-17, 23:51:03 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2017-01-23, 01:19:18 »
I have a question for you Ian. With this style of bascinet, would knights carry the visor on their side while wearing a great helm, or would they simply not wear a greathelm at all and only have the bascinet with visor. Or would some knights not enter the battlefield at all on horseback and choose to only wear the klapvisor if entering the field on foot. 
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #5 on: 2017-01-26, 02:37:20 »
I have a question for you Ian. With this style of bascinet, would knights carry the visor on their side while wearing a great helm, or would they simply not wear a greathelm at all and only have the bascinet with visor. Or would some knights not enter the battlefield at all on horseback and choose to only wear the klapvisor if entering the field on foot.

Nate, you would not wear a Great Helm with a klappvisor style.  The bascinet replaced the need for a Great Helm. It was the all in one helm. They did early on (early 14th century) wear a GreatHelm over a bascinet but that was before they added the visor attachments for facial protection that could be easily removed or lifted for better visibility, breathing, etc.  GreatHelm just got worn for tournaments until it faded out as a style of the time.  It was easier to fight in bascinet no matter if on foot or mounted because you had better forward visibility in a fight with a liftable visor.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-26, 02:48:15 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)