"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: dimensions of 15C german halberd haft?  (Read 4806 times)

Grauritter

dimensions of 15C german halberd haft?
« on: 2016-09-20, 20:41:57 »
Hello everyone,

I just got one of GDFB's halberd heads. I am going to buy 6-foot ash to mount it on. The space between langets/tangs is 1"... that's tiny!   So what should the dimensions of the haft actually be??  Is it like 1" x 2"  or 2" x 2" shaved down at the head end? 

Pictures of originals have wood extending beyond the langets, so I imaging Im looking at 1.5" or 2" along that side (sideways side?).  but what about the front-facing side that is in between the langets? I have never seen a picture of an original head-on.

Oh! erm... Is it the overall dimensions are 6 feet including the head?  Or 6-foot haft, plus head?

Thank you for any help you might provide.

Kindest regards,
-Jason

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: dimensions of 15C german halberd haft?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-21, 01:30:41 »
6ft is a little short for a Halberd historically IIRC.

Look at this version of what would be in that same class. It's 83"

http://arms-n-armor.com/pole030.html

Are you thinking of a poleaxe?
« Last Edit: 2016-09-21, 01:32:09 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-23, 12:16:54 »
not really.

i like to keep mine about the height of me. they are easier to control.

you can easily carve the areas that the langets cover so you can get a larger shaft.

i used to think that the rivets went all the way through to the other side, but after listening to someone..... i cant remember who it was, he said they weren't. they used nails that went in at different directions

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-24, 17:10:00 »
Yes, you can shape the area of the haft that mounts the actual polearm head.

I have a GDFB pole axe that I made a hardwood shaft by laminating two pieces into a larger piece (tons of glue & tons of clamps). I shaved down the sides parallel with the blade to give it more of a rounded rectangle shape, rather than circular. I haven't played with it much, but the same concept worked well for controlling blade alignment.

Also, hail and welcome!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-26, 03:48:40 »
I've had the book Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe: The Evolution of European Staff Weapons between 1200 and 1650 by John Waldman recommended to me, but have yet to pick up a copy.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber