"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: The start of my kit  (Read 15670 times)

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
The start of my kit
« on: 2016-07-15, 19:50:06 »
Every kit has to start somewhere. That first step taken into a brave new world. This is my second step; however, it arrived first. It is Arms and Armor's #240 Morgan Bible dagger with some minor changes. There are two examples that I know of that are shown in the Morgan Bible, often called the Maciejowski Bible, but Morgan Bible is easier to spell. The first is found in folio 10, approximately the middle of the picture near the top, and the second in folio 24, upper right had side embedded in some poor guy's skull.

First off, the dagger is gorgeous. Simple and elegant, it would have been at home hanging from a knight's belt in the time it was in vogue circa 1250. The blade came sharp, but not to the point where you can shave with it. The blade is 9 1/16-inches long and the overall length is 14 1/16-inches. The grip is short at 3 5/16-inches. I don't have a scale, but I'd put the weight at around a pound, give or take. The leather of both the grip and the sheath are black. The sheath is fairly simple, just thick black leather stitched up the back with a loop.

Of course, I couldn't just let it be and get the stock version. I contacted Craig Johnson at A&A and asked him if we could customize. The stock dagger has a threaded pommel and a grip that is stitched on. I asked for mine to have a peened pommel and a skivved and burnished grip. It took a little longer, but the final piece is wonderful.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best: they are from my camera phone.
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
Re: The start of my kit
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-15, 19:51:03 »
Here's the dagger. For some reason, the photo did not attach.

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-15, 19:51:43 »
Finally, the peen.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-16, 23:32:59 »
I like the customization of A&A's stock piece, very nice!  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-21, 14:16:32 »
Okay, now for the solicitation of ideas. I bought a sheath with my dagger. It is a fairly simple affair; heavy leather dyed black, sewn up the back, with a leather thong for suspension. No decoration whatsoever. So how would a late 13th century knight have decorating his dagger sheath, if at all? Incised lines? Geometric shapes or specific figures? Latin inscriptions? Paint/dye? Metal parts like a chape or locket? If metal was used, latten (brass) or steel? Nothing at all? Would the dagger itself be decorated in any manner?
« Last Edit: 2016-07-21, 14:17:31 by Jon Blair »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-21, 17:23:08 »
Knives and Scabbards has some dagger sheathes in it too, but the motifs on even the knife scabbards are indicative of the appropriate leather decoration of the period.  It's loaded with extant examples.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-07, 16:22:19 »
Now I have a new entry into my kit: an Albion Knight. I also bought a scabbard made by Buck from Albion to match.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #7 on: 2016-12-22, 01:10:49 »
Albion. Always a nice addition.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2016-12-27, 20:06:31 »
One of their best swords, imho.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #9 on: 2016-12-28, 04:14:56 »
Solid choice!  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2017-04-24, 18:52:04 »
Well, my Albion Knight is returning to New Glarus. The recent change in the weather resulted in manufacturer's defect in the grip becoming a big issue. The grip squeaks and shifts when handled. Fortunately, Albion is going to put a new grip on it. Unfortunately, I found out that I was overcharged for the sword. I used the invoice paperwork that I had left in the sleeve in the box to write down the problem. I hadn't really looked at the paperwork until now, but I realized that they never deducted the 10% armed forces active duty/retiree/veteran's discount. Word to the wise, look the paperwork over when you get something like that. Ah well.

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: 2017-05-11, 20:34:32 »
Well, my Knight has returned better than before. And Mike credited my account for a future purchase with the amount of the discount. So all's well that ends well.
Now to decide on what will be the next piece of kit: helm or arming garments.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #12 on: 2017-05-15, 16:24:01 »
Arming garments. Start with essentials by doing braies, etc and work outwards.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #13 on: 2017-05-20, 05:11:09 »
Arming garments. Start with essentials by doing braies, etc and work outwards.

+1

I wish I had forums like this back in the day!

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #14 on: 2017-05-22, 16:45:11 »
+2

Make them yourself if you are able, especially gambesons/ aketons. A good fit there means you can more closely tailor your mail. Improves movement and cuts down on weight. Also, a lot of off the rack arming garments aren't stuffed with natural fibers which is bad for heat conduction. Trust me, it's hot enough wearing a kit that's done right.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal