"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Boston, MA is where we're moving. UPDATE!!!  (Read 19420 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Boston, MA is where we're moving. UPDATE!!!
« on: 2016-07-12, 05:51:50 »
So we've picked Boston as our East Coast landing spot! Can you help us with lay of the land info?
Stuff like-
1) Where to live or not live.
2) BOLO for job spots. Chef de Cuisine or Executive Sous Chef for my wife, Courier/Delivery Driver for me.
3) Public Transit info.
4) Anyone whom could help us with  crash space on the 3-5 day drive out, and while we find a place. Though my wife may be flying out first depending on job circumstances.
5) Any useful tidbits that we've not thought of.

Our current plan is to use a U-Box container and our car, so we're reducing down to the bare essentials as that should save us monies.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-24, 19:07:49 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Boston, MA is where we're moving. Help?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-12, 07:02:55 »
After a good long fight with that sin Pride we have won. And are finally willing to ask for help so here is the GoFundMe page some of our friend have advised (rightly <grumble>) we set up.

https://www.gofundme.com/2dzftrg

We think "It's supposed to be used for BIG things" and our friends say "You mean like moving coasts?". So yeah, asking for help when it's serious is not a skill we have in abundance.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-13, 08:33:51 »
As I'm the only one local in that regard, I guess I'm the go-to-guy for your Boston needs. :)

Number 1.) Boston traffic ALWAYS sucks (6-9am; 2:30-6pm) - All major highways (93, 90, 95) - Best avoid during busy times if living outside city & commuting.
Number 2.) If local, there are several reasonably priced localities for living (not all are overpriced - Boston is high-cost living though). I would avoid Dorchester, Roxbury (along Blue Hill Avenue especially) if looking to live in city (most gun violence there between local gangs). Lots of great suburbs & neighborhoods around Boston. Ask if you see something you like.
Number 3.) Work is plenty. Restaurants are abundant in Boston as is colleges & universities. You will not by hurting for food & hospitality industries here - job wise. For courier services: UPS, FedEx, etc all have hubs here. If you have trucker's Commerical CDL (MA), you should be all set with finding employment driving here.
Number 4.) Boston is a very historical, modern reflection of colonial New England. Has something for everyone - including us medieval nuts. Entertainment is plenty.
Number 5.) MBTA (or the "T") is the public transit system - trains, commuter rails, buses in the Greater Boston area. Very accessible to all areas in & around the city. Commuter rates vary for passes if you use it but it is very accessible by many stations and lines (including North & South stations - Railway hubs/Amtrak, etc).

That's just for starters. Look me up when you arrive. :) 

« Last Edit: 2016-07-13, 08:40:08 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-13, 20:35:16 »
When I lived in Portland, an all access pass to the Tri-Met system was like $530/ yr. I thought  it a wonderful deal. Is there something similar in Boston?

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-14, 18:37:20 »
I do not take the MBTA (I drive) but yes there are varying rates for commuters ("T" passes). They call them Charlie cards.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-15, 06:09:32 »
My wife has gotten some nibbles job-wise but no full bites yet, and we're up to $260 on the GoFundMe. :)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-20, 04:42:20 »
Me on the inside right now waiting for someone to buy the motorcycle and someone to offer Tamalyn, my wife, a job.

Quote from: Inside Thorsteinn's head
BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING!

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2016-07-23, 04:53:14 »
OK, so we gave our 30 day notice to our landlord and my wife is planning to give her 2 week next week and work some magic with her PTO days.

Getting a tremendous ton of lowballers for the motorcycle, including a guy that knew he couldn't even pay what I was asking, and a few that try to negotiate via text before even seeing the motorcycle (that pisses me off BTW).

But if all goes as planned then we should be outta here within the month.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #8 on: 2016-07-24, 05:17:17 »
Getting a tremendous ton of lowballers for the motorcycle, including a guy that knew he couldn't even pay what I was asking, and a few that try to negotiate via text before even seeing the motorcycle (that pisses me off BTW).

That sucks.   >:(  Good luck!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2016-07-24, 21:10:27 »

That sucks.   >:(  Good luck!

Thank you. I had a couple of folks promise me $1300, one was even from as far away as Yerington, NV and another called today from down the street, but one guy had $1200 cash yesterday so I took it. At least we now have close to all the funds we need for the move cause it's a long ass way from Reno to Boston.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2016-07-25, 23:20:36 »
Speaking of motorcycles .... found this beauty. "Brass Dragon"

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2016-07-26, 17:52:45 »

What is it?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2016-07-31, 04:44:54 »
D-day, H-hour has been chosen.

Sunday August 7th at 6am we will be heading out of Reno towards Cheyenne, WY and we hope to be there by 8pm. The next day will be more of the same as we drive to the Quad Cities area of Iowa.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2016-08-01, 13:00:03 »

What is it?

Customized Harley Sportster is my guess.

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
« Reply #14 on: 2016-08-02, 20:46:17 »
Wyoming is beautiful and sparsely populated. I'd be tempted to just stay there myself.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho