"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Elite Series Swords from Darksword Armory (DSA)  (Read 4165 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Elite Series Swords from Darksword Armory (DSA)
« on: 2016-07-07, 17:41:36 »
Most of us have heard of this company at some point- from its mostly humble origins via SFI, to the brou-ha-ha that occurred when accusations of theft of design ran rampant; love them or hate them, they're still around.  I'd gotten one of their swords some twelve or so years ago; I'll never forget it as it was the most money I'd ever spent on a sword at that time.  The DSA Ranger, an homage to the sword Aragorn used in the LOTR movies (which was never in the book, by the way- he used the larger upper portion of the sword Narsil [a foot length of steel missing from where it would run to the tip] before it was reforged into Anduril, but I digress) had just been released to the market and I was hot for one.  I Paypal'd my $370 or so and waited anxiously. 

I had it shipped to the job; that was how bad I wanted it.  When it arrived I hurried down to the car garage to get a good look at it and put it in the trunk when I'd finished drooling.  Imagine that anticipation...I'd waited what felt like months (it was weeks) and it was finally here!  Imagine my utter dissatisfaction as I noted several inconsistencies on the item that pictures did not show.  From rough leather-work on grip and scabbard (no belts at the time), chape and locket had pits and grind marks- the shape of the lower part of the cross had a corresponding shape that fit the locket only it didn't- they did not align at all.  The blade itself looked decent enough, and heavy enough to crush thin plate, and trees and whatever else you put under it.  It weighed in at over 4lbs (closer to 5), the sharpening service was uneven and amateurish at best.  I immediately sent it back for a full refund; it was a tank but a tank was not what I wanted.  I would "look in on" on them from time to time but never ventured back.

Then I happened to see this- and am somewhat flabbergasted that they've gone this route and command such a price:

http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-27052-the-medieval-knight-elite-series-sword.aspx

Thoughts, good gentlemen?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Elite Series Swords from Darksword Armory (DSA)
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-07, 19:01:31 »
There are so very many warning signals here.

From a lack of detail regarding size (listed but not right up front), to the use of "damascus" steel, to no listing of the weight, to the website design, to the drop down menu for "size" being used to ask if you want it sharpened. Then you add on the price which is obscene for a company mired so often in controversy.

There is this- http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-21385-european-bec-de-courbin.aspx

And this, which is rather more expensive that anyone else for not good kit- http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/c-772-synthetic-sparring-swords.aspx
« Last Edit: 2016-07-07, 19:10:28 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-08, 05:22:03 »
Yes, I want one gift wrapped for Halloween!?   ::)

It better be good to demand $1,600.  Based on the past history of this outfit, I think not.  A quick glace at the header will tell you who they are marketing to.   :D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-08, 13:04:54 »
Did they hire John Clements to write that description for them?
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure