"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: My First Kit  (Read 4002 times)

Domenick

• carpe vinum
My First Kit
« on: 2016-06-14, 01:14:37 »
I'm starting my first kit and I would take all the help and pointers I can get from anyone willing to give it. What I'm going for is a knight hospitaller, no century specifically and I'm sure it won't be 100% historically accurate. I'm hoping to have this finished by my local renaissance fair in October so fingers crossed.

The tunic and mantle is no problem as I am having it made for me. Other pieces I will need are the chainmail, everything but a coif which I already have, sword, shield, helm, undergarments, and any addons (belts etc.) The coif that I have is 16G 10mm so I'll be sticking with that size for the rest of the chainmail. The helm will likely be my final purchase, I'm not sure the specific helmet I want but a version of a great helm. Next is undergarments, where would be the best place to get some along with accurate belts? I have a pair of long johns that I could use as legs so all I would need is a top, also socks. A shield shouldn't be too much of a problem, I can find an accurate one and paint a Maltese cross on it.

Finally the sword, I believe I found one that is great for me, it has the Maltese cross I'm looking for and it's the only one if it's kind that I've found. While it may not be historically accurate I think it's a beautiful sword and it would go great with the kit. The only issue is it's from a website that I can't find much about, outfit4events. Apparently they're a European reseller and most of their stuff comes from Czech. Browsing reviews online, the few that there are seem to end up giving it an OK.
This is the sword, I'll only be using it for show so I'll have it forged and sharpened with the matt finish. The scabbard is made to fit and the total comes out to around 350 USD excluding shipping which will probably kill me. Another small issue is it being on backorder for 10 weeks.
http://www.outfit4events.com/usd/product/9320-maltese-sword-tahima/
http://www.outfit4events.com/usd/product/3257-back-leather-scabbard/
I just wanted to get your opinion on the sword since I know relatively nothing about them.

Basically all I need is opinion on the sword and best place for undergarments.
Also I wasn't sure if this belongs in the Armory or here so I apologize in advance.

Thank you for taking the time and I appreciate anyone's input  ;D
« Last Edit: 2016-06-14, 01:15:29 by Domenick »

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: My First Kit
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-17, 04:20:10 »
I always loved that Hospitallier look. Good choice for first kit. Crusader look is always in & easy to do. And reasonably priced as far as wallets go.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)