"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: User account suspensions, forum maintenance.  (Read 3885 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
User account suspensions, forum maintenance.
« on: 2009-05-22, 20:15:48 »
We've had a bunch of new-user sign-ups where the account was activated but the person has never logged in. And some cases where they never activate. In some of these cases, if time goes by and it doesn't look like they're coming back, I may start suspending these accounts.

SMF forum recently had another security patch, and I'm wondering if some unscrupulous folks out there are trying to do nefarious deeds.

It looks like the server has also had an issue sending emails, so I'll track that down. It's needed for account activation.

EDIT: Note that I'm just talking about accounts that have never logged in. I'm not going to suspend real people who just haven't been on in a while. :)
« Last Edit: 2009-05-22, 20:32:24 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: User account suspensions, forum maintenance.
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-14, 21:06:45 »

I've started deleting out a few accounts that never logged in again after registering. I'm going to start getting a little more serious about doing this. If people want to return, they can always re-register, but otherwise it's sometimes impossible to tell if they were just spam-accounts.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )