"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: new member, new harness  (Read 22928 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: new member, new harness
« Reply #30 on: 2015-09-30, 17:45:36 »
Spend a good chunk of time studying mid to late 15th century Milanese harnesses for the Armet look,  or 16th century styles for the close helm look. 

Here are some photos of the 'typical' looks that those helm styles usually go with.  The first is the 'armet' and the second is the 'close helm.'  The close helm probably comes in more  variety of styles than the armet,  so browse.  But realize that the typical close helm wearing, knight in shining armor that most people think about isn't medieval at all, but a renaissance thing.  What you want to do now is spend a LOT of time studying and familiarizing yourself with the *real* objects through good sources.

Mid - Late 15th century Milanese harness featuring Armet

16th Century Equestrian Armor featuring a Close  Helm
« Last Edit: 2015-09-30, 18:24:07 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #31 on: 2015-10-01, 22:19:29 »
Here's a different view of the 16th century armours linked by Ian.

And the Armet can be seen quite early in the 15th century, but the more iconic version is, as shown by Ian, very alligned with the late Milanese equestrian harnesses.

A good point to start for sca (not for living history) is. Landsknecht kit with hidden plastic armour and only a close helm and gauntlets visible. This is not the historical use of them, but for sca, it will look good and you can build your kit over time feom the top down. However, for proper kit building, you'll want to start from the inside out and your helmet will be one of the last pieces, fitted over your breastplate and throat protection.

EDIT:

Actually found a kit you could start on as I was thumbing through my pinterest, since, for SCA, you can do at least a part of it in plastic (the cuirass) and thus save money and get in gear slightly quicker. But remember, this is a big comittment no matter how you do it.

It has been quoted as the "Armour of Don Sancho de Avila Germany (Augsburg), 1560."

Here you have some of my albums. They're not perfect, the helmet one has plenty of modern stuff in it, and the overview-one is sorely lacking in milanese harnesses.

Brief History overview:
https://www.pinterest.com/granlid/a-brief-history-of-armour/

Helmets:
https://www.pinterest.com/granlid/helmets-for-inspiration/

And then, if you want to study existing Milanese pieces, there's a great album over at MyArmoury
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21152

I think I've given you what tools I can, now it is up to you to do the rest.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-01, 22:39:55 by Henrik Granlid »
Shiny.

westcoastgio

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: 2015-10-02, 03:29:44 »
I have a fight legal cuirass and an early SCA great helm already. I plan on using the pieces I have while adding pieces that will match the final look I want, and replace the helm and cuirass last.

honestly, if the look in my head is more renaissance than medieval, I'm not too worried about it. I just want it to be semi historical and what I think of when I think of a knight. though I am more than a little frustrated to learn that the weapon system and armor system I think of when I think of knights are separated by centuries.

I am researching the heck out of things, you guys (mostly Ian) keep suggesting books and I keep buying and reading them.

westcoastgio

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: 2015-11-08, 03:11:08 »
well, I achieved my short term goal, thanks to some loaner gear from a friend, I am now equipped to legally fight with the SCA.

the dropbox link is to a picture of me in the harness with my 'uge shield and SCA sword
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6j52jphhyakhks/IMG_24441.jpg?dl=0

now I have to work on my midterm goal: making my current rig more comfortable, less ugly, and actually learn how to fight.

My long term goal remains, I want a respectably historical late period milanese rig. and toward my long term goal I am still researching, both the history, and some reputable smiths.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #34 on: 2015-11-08, 04:58:25 »
Quote from: westcoastgio
well, I achieved my short term goal, thanks to some loaner gear from a friend, I am now equipped to legally fight with the SCA.

Yea!  :)

now I have to work on my midterm goal: making my current rig more comfortable, less ugly, and actually learn how to fight.

This order: #2, #3, #1.  Hitting people with sticks is fun for the whole family.   ;)

My long term goal remains, I want a respectably historical late period milanese rig. and toward my long term goal I am still researching, both the history, and some reputable smiths.

You underestimate the power of the 14th century... 
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #35 on: 2015-11-08, 05:01:43 »
Search your feelings, you know it to be true...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

AnsalonPaladin

• Keeper Of Brass
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: 2016-03-03, 16:56:36 »
Osprey books can have some really bogus information and interpretations in them, so never take them as gospel. Always confirm with other sources.  The go-to book most  people recommend for new enthusiasts is Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight by Edge and Paddock.

Funny you mention that Sir Ian. My history professor gave me that book upon learning about me joining the SCA and it has helped me in my acquisitions tremendously.

Westcoast, as a fellow Scadian from Atlantia I must hail you and congratulate you on joining our cult! I have only been in six months now but it has begun to dominate most aspects of my life. I will hop on board with the others and say functionality should be your chief concern. Looking cool is important in the SCA, it gains respect and admiration in a society where there is a true opportunity for advancement. However, battlefield prowess is of course the name of the game. Here are some armorers I think you should look in to for your 15th century period goals.

Eric Joseph of James River Armoury is down there in Caid as we speak so shipping and acquisitions will be quick with him, however he is moving back here to Atlantia soon so I'd hop on board while you can! You can find him on facebook or on etsy.

Forge Of Svan makes some awesome BOTN gear at an incredibly affordable price but they are in Ukraine.

Steel Mastery is a group from Ukraine, like Forge Of Svan, their main focus is BOTN. Whatever works for ACL and BOTN guys will more than work for SCA use. I've seen some people on this forum gripe about their quality though...and they're undeniably expensive as well.

Mad Matt's Armory is also an affordable and awesome armorer that will cater to you on a personal level. They have some very affordable bascinets on there. If you're going for an SCA legal armet it's going to be hard to find one under 900 bucks. A hounskull or klappvisier serve a similar function but are more affordable.

I look forward to seeing you on the field of battle some day. Hopefully you can make it to this year's Pennsic!
"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" -De Re Militari