"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: 16/17th century Spanish clothing/armor  (Read 4133 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
16/17th century Spanish clothing/armor
« on: 2016-01-19, 06:36:51 »
Looking to get a accurate Conquistador kit going with a friend. Can't find any reliable sources on what they wore exactly, nor do I know good merchants. Kult of Athena doesn't have a good selection for that setting.

A good example of what we want to do would be the costuming from "Aguirre, Wrath Of God" movie. Based in 1560

Let me know.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-19, 06:37:51 by Leganoth »

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
Re: 16/17th century Spanish clothing/armor
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-19, 14:07:48 »
Medieval Design (http://www.medievaldesign.com/english.asp) has begun manufacturing clothing for gentlemen between the 1630's and the 1780's. Perhaps some of the earlier stuff would work for you.

Of course, the Morion style helmet is often seen as the appropriate style helmet for the conquistador, but the design was not limited to Spain.
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 16/17th century Spanish clothing/armor
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-20, 19:50:52 »
Aguirre is an old movie; might be questionable as to historicity of the clothing design in the movie.  I would go visit the Armour Archive:  http://armourarchive.org - I'd also check out the 2006 film, Captain Alatriste about a 17th century Spanish swashbuckler, the Spanish Musketeer if you like.  Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn in Lord of the Rings) plays Alatriste.  I read the book; I can only hope the movie is better.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€