"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: "Armour of the English Knight: 1400 - 1450" by Tobias Capwell  (Read 10574 times)

Sir_Edward_ReBrook

• New Forum Member
I just received my copy of "Armour of the English Knight: 1400 - 1450" by Tobias Capwell. So far, I'm blown away by wonderful it is. Great info, amazing illustrations, and rich visuals, especially of funerary effigies make for a compelling addition to any modern Knight's library.  I was curious if anyone else had seen it and what your thoughts were. Sir Ian, is "Tobias Capwell" your pen name?
Respectfully,

W. Edward Graf von Ettendorf-ReBrook, GOTJ

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Ha, I wish.

It's absolutely one of the best books on armor to come out in recent history.  It's obviously a very niche book, being specific to England and the first half of the 15th century, but it just happens to be one of my niches, so that's just fine by me.  There is talk of him doing a 1450-1500 and then a 3rd volume on continental armors as well.  Not only is the research fantastic in the book, but having sketches by Jeff Wasson and Robert MacPherson to illustrate the concepts of construction just take the book to the next level.  It's a must-own for any late medieval armor enthusiast.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Ha, we all wish.  He's a beast, is Dr. Capwell.  His black jousting harness...think I've had to replace a number of keyboards due to droolage issues.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
It's on my "someday buy" list.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The Wasson and MacPherson sketches are very nice.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
very cool. i dont have it yet.

that being said english sources are really hard to come by so if he has them all listed sweet!

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
A book to add on my Chivalric Library Wishlist lol
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
It makes a nice Christmas request!   ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber