"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: Surgery for worn out bits. A question.  (Read 7021 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Surgery for worn out bits. A question.
« on: 2015-09-24, 21:59:28 »
So I know some here have had surgery to fix worn out bits on themselves.

My question is: When did you know it was time?

I know that I'm going to need shoulder surgery before my 40th b-day and I know I will need to look into hip surgery too but I want to go in none to early and none too late.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Surgery for worn out bits. A question.
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-25, 03:34:27 »
So I know some here have had surgery to fix worn out bits on themselves.

My question is: When did you know it was time?

I know that I'm going to need shoulder surgery before my 40th b-day and I know I will need to look into hip surgery too but I want to go in none to early and none too late.

If the shoulder pain is rotater cuff damage, then do it as soon as you can and follow the physical therapist's instructions exactly!

Knees can be a bit trickier.  My father's had both done after a Division 3 football and wrestling career then coaching football for another 30 years (1970-2000).  Those you have to work out with your physician as the replacements don't last forever and you may have to re-do them.   :(
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-25, 11:47:40 »
I'm still getting worked on from my shoulder surgery of a year ago, had to have an x-ray guided corticosteroid shot two days ago and more PT starting Monday since it's now frozen through a significant portion of its range of motion (portions of overhead, external rotation and behind my back).  The longer you wait with damaged soft tissue, the more likely you may have permanent problems with arthritis and scar tissue, calcification etc in the future.  If you need surgery on the shoulder, I don't necessarily see why you would wait.  If you don't need it just yet, then that's different.  Your ortho's advice is going to be better than ours.  It also depends on what you're having repaired.  If you have a diagnosed 'rotator cuff'  problem, that's not a specific muscle, it's a set of 4 muscles, and it's usually the tendon of one of those (mostly the supraspinatus) that people injure most frequently.  In my case the problem was the labrum (the cartilaginous cup that holds the head of the humerus), but until I had an MRI some of the doctors thought it was a rotator cuff thing since that's what gets blamed for so much shoulder pain.   
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2015-09-25, 21:40:36 »
Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Surgery

Piriformis Syndrome , sciatica - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim

I have either the #2 or #4 variation of the sciatic nerve.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-25, 23:43:16 »
After years of not being able to breathe through my nose, I finally decided to stop procrasturbating and get it taken care of while I am still young. I've had it for as long as I can remember and had gotten quite used to. I made my decision last year as one of my New Years Resolutions to improve my overall health. Went to the doctor and after 8 months of trying things, we figured out I needed surgery. I've got that to look forward to on the 6th.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2015-09-28, 01:16:59 »
After years of not being able to breathe through my nose, I finally decided to stop procrasturbating and get it taken care of while I am still young. I've had it for as long as I can remember and had gotten quite used to. I made my decision last year as one of my New Years Resolutions to improve my overall health. Went to the doctor and after 8 months of trying things, we figured out I needed surgery. I've got that to look forward to on the 6th.

I've been told by an ENT doc that I should probably get a septoplasty. Is that what you're doing, or something further in on the sinuses?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2015-09-28, 23:08:44 »
I'm getting three procedures: septoplasty, internal valve stenosis rhinoplasty, and an interior turbinate reduction. In laymen's terms, the septoplasty will correct my S-shaped septum. They'll remove the bone spurs and gnarly bits. The inernal valve stenosis rhinoplasty will involve salvaging some cartilige from the septum and grafting that inside the upper part of my nostrils to support them and repair the collapse. Finally, the turbinate reduction will involve pushing my permanently swollen turbinates off to the sides, giving me more airflow.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2015-09-29, 14:56:07 »
I'm getting three procedures: septoplasty, internal valve stenosis rhinoplasty, and an interior turbinate reduction. In laymen's terms, the septoplasty will correct my S-shaped septum. They'll remove the bone spurs and gnarly bits. The inernal valve stenosis rhinoplasty will involve salvaging some cartilige from the septum and grafting that inside the upper part of my nostrils to support them and repair the collapse. Finally, the turbinate reduction will involve pushing my permanently swollen turbinates off to the sides, giving me more airflow.

Awesome, I'm envious. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2015-09-29, 20:35:45 »
I'm really looking forward to the Percocet:)