"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Bohemond Boots  (Read 6957 times)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Bohemond Boots
« on: 2015-09-04, 04:31:53 »
Anyone have any experience with Bohemond Boots?  The ankle boots Sir Ian suggested over at Viking Leathercrafts for DoK have been out of stock for months (the owner said he should have some in in time, but I'm getting a bit nervous). Anyway, I'm eyeing these:
http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/index.php/shop-ii/product/18-medieval-ankle-shoe
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Bohemond Boots
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-04, 17:49:04 »

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-06, 00:20:23 »
Well I don't know about their boots, but I have ordered from Bohemond in the past and that process was quick and painless, and the item I ordered (a knife) arrived fairly quickly. I guess that's not really much help, though. :-\

It looks like the Bohemond shoes are proper turn shoes whereas the Garb ones are the hob-nailed type like the Viking Leathercraft ones.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #3 on: 2015-09-06, 20:45:46 »
I've bought all the medieval shoes and boots I own from Bohemond (7 pairs I think) , and they have good quality and consistency. Nice experience for midrange medieval footwear IMO.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-07, 00:59:50 »
Certain models of their turnshoes have hardened leather slip-and-slide soles.  The patterns are ok, but I was not pleased with the overall product in the particular model I purchased.  They were like walking on ice because the soles had been either treated with something or compressed to harden them, and the result is an ice-skate without the ice.  They are what drove me to learn to make shoes.  I've  no experience with that model specifically and cannot comment on the soles they have on them.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2015-09-08, 13:48:19 »
I bought some Jorvik Toggle boots form them. Got to me in time time and the quality was OKAY. I got a vibram sole on mine as it was for LARP and the cement in the kitchen (I am a tavernkeep) is slippery as is...I wearing them down pretty quickly and the glue used is starting to come undone. To be fair I use them once a month at LARP and pretty regularly for mundane uses (go to work, out with friends, etc)...

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: 2015-09-09, 01:30:58 »
I own 2 Bohemond boots, the saxons and the persians. After 2 seasons of wear I had to replace the soles (as above, the glue was coming apart) and I wanted a better heel for riding. Even so, they were well worth the money and are very comfortable. I do wish he had a better range of colors.
Violentia Aureus

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2015-09-09, 18:51:44 »
I ended up going with the Garb the World ones. I think they might even be the same shoe Viking Leathercraft carries. I'll post a review once they arrive. Slippery soles and glue coming apart sealed the deal for me.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2015-09-11, 22:59:48 »
The 2 toggle boots that are in my pic are from Bohemond. I expected them to last 2 years and it's been 5-ish with some repairs. I expect to get another few years out of them given the little use I'm putting them too at the moment.
Fall down seven, get up eight.