"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: William Marshal- Badass of the Week (of a previous week).  (Read 9808 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Have I shared this yet?

Quote from: Badass Of The Week
William, the fourth son of John the Marshal, was an insignificant child born to a minor English baron of no great importance.  He grew up in a decently-adequate castle, sure, but this kid was so far down the line of inheritance in his own family that it was obvious from his birth that he would receive precisely jack sh** after his dad died, and could expect nothing out of life except what he was able to forge with his own two hands out of the still-beating hearts of his enemies.  He would never inherit land, title, or wealth.  He would never be important enough to receive training in the arts of warfare or battle.  In short, William’s unlucky position in his family’s birth order left this poor bastard doomed in the ranks of the knights errant, those masterless noble warriors left to wander the countrysides of Medieval England D&D player-character style looking to create their own legends through sheer determination, cleverness, and, occasionally, brute force applied liberally to the skulls of anyone stupid enough to f**k with them.

William Marshal on Badass of the Week
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: William Marshal- Badass of the Week (of a previous week).
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-26, 16:04:49 »
Badass of the Week?  How about Badass of his TIME???  The only one to ever unhorse the Lionheart, among many other chivalric and martial accomplishments.  And our 'benefactor'.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-26, 18:18:52 »
It does him justice. Although the plate armor part may be a bit off
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-27, 19:11:44 »
I don't think that picture is of the Marshal anyway, the colors are all wrong- he should be in green and gold w/a red lion rampant; by that horse's barding I'd say it was meant to be Richard or John, but the heraldry of the shields in the background as well as the armored man in the foreground suggest a later time set during the Hundred Years' War where the English kings quartered their arms with that of French royalty (the gold fleur de lis on the blue background), which occurred some 120+ years after the Marshal passed.  Still, he was The Man of his time.

The second picture is very close if not spot on.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-27, 19:13:02 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward Oldwall

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-27, 19:35:56 »
I agree, Sir William. Looks like pictures were chosen to convey 'knights' and only a few really hit the mark of portraying William Marshal in any way.
I've bought your soul, fight well for me!

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-06, 03:20:44 »
Badass of the Week?  How about Badass of his TIME???  The only one to ever unhorse the Lionheart, among many other chivalric and martial accomplishments.  And our 'benefactor'.

Hear! Hear!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.