"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Games: The Witcher 3  (Read 20048 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Games: The Witcher 3
« Reply #15 on: 2014-12-04, 14:29:57 »

I pre-ordered it a while ago, so I'm set. I started playing Witcher 2, and then my video card failed. I lost momentum during the few weeks that the card was out for RMA. I'll get back to it eventually, but right now Dragon Age: Inquisition has my attention.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-12-04, 21:06:11 »
I'll get back to it eventually, but right now Dragon Age: Inquisition has my attention.

Haha, yes... so far Origin says it has captured about 48 hrs of my attention!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-12-09, 18:09:39 »
Sir Ian, you're playing DA:Origin?  You're in for it man- 48 hours is but a pittance.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2014-12-09, 20:58:38 »
Sir Ian, you're playing DA:Origin?  You're in for it man- 48 hours is but a pittance.  ;)

I played DAO when it came out and really enjoyed it. We're talking about DA:Inquisition, the one that was just released a couple weeks ago.  So far, the best in the series.  Much grander and bigger than DA:O, and I didn't care for DA2, but DA:I is making up for it.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-09, 20:59:34 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2014-12-10, 16:50:23 »
Oh, sorry.  When  you said 'Origin' I just assumed you meant DA: Origin.  I'm vacillating between salivation and outright fear of that game...fear that it could soak up loads of my time (just like the previous two entries).  I did like both- the first for the heavy RPG aspect and engaging storyline, the second I liked for the admittedly shallow action bits and lite RPG, I guess mostly because I didn't have to read all of the dialog.  I think my eyes might be going...it gets harder and harder to read that stuff, no matter how big a screen I'm playing on.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-12-10, 18:59:51 »
Oh no worries.  "Origin" is EA's electronic service that they sell PC games through.  It's like a really bad version of Steam if you're familiar with that.

Yes, if you choose to play DA:I I can guarantee one thing for certes, it will consume a lot more time than you may want it to :)  But so far I'm very much enjoying the trip.
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2014-12-12, 19:05:28 »

Oh yes, DA:I is excellent so far. I read somewhere that they estimate about 150 hours of play, if you do all of the side quests. I believe the first two games kept me going for about 50 hours each (Steam says 90-something for DA:O, but that also includes the Awakening expansion).

I've put just about 50 hours into DA:I so far, and I think it's believable that I'm about a third of the way through. And it's not dragging. Not at all.

One piece of advice though, if you do pick this one up. You should try to unlearn what Bioware has taught you to do in the earlier games in the series, and with Mass Effect. That is, they previously trained us all to complete a zone before moving on, and to generally do as many side-quests as you can before advancing the story. Both of these are mistakes to do in DA:I, which is much more free-form, and clearly is meant for you to fluidly go in and out of the zones over time.

The zones are HUGE compared to previous titles. And the first one they put you in, The Hinterlands, is probably one of the largest. You can spend 15 hours in that one area alone, and if you try to do it all in one go, you'll wonder why the game is dragging and the story isn't moving forward. It's better to advance the story, until the "recommended level range" for the story missions holds you back.

There's so much depth and complexity in this one, it's quite amazing. And yet, they kept some of the streamlining from DA2, in a successful blend.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #22 on: 2014-12-12, 21:54:10 »
Also playing DA:I at present (on 360) - agree it's good.  Also a fan of W2 :)
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2015-11-27, 04:18:19 »
Steam sale, 50% off, only $29.99 through Dec 1st.

And the Witcher 1 and 2 are under $5 for both.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent