"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Armor Series  (Read 54184 times)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: Armor Series
« Reply #60 on: 2015-10-21, 15:27:42 »
Thanks.  One of my goals was to make them accessible to people who may not be studied on these topics.  Firstly, because I'm lazy and it's nice to be able to point to a video instead of constantly having to duplicate work.  Secondly though, and more importantly, I think for people newly interested it can be hard to figure out where to break in to serious study, and I want to get them decent information to start with, not an Osprey book or Hollywood, ya know? ;)

Plus, for me anyway, it's nice to actually see this stuff instead of trying to glean all the important bits from a bunch of text. I'm a very visual person, so I can read about something a hundred times and not quite get it fully, but when I see an example in action, it instantly clicks.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #61 on: 2015-10-22, 02:22:43 »
Plus, for me anyway, it's nice to actually see this stuff instead of trying to glean all the important bits from a bunch of text. I'm a very visual person, so I can read about something a hundred times and not quite get it fully, but when I see an example in action, it instantly clicks.

I couldn't agree more.  I'm also a visual learner and a short video is worth 10,000  words.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 2015-11-01, 21:54:33 »
Throat

Technically this is the last in the 'arming series' since I'm pretty much out of armor for my harness.  Now the videos will focus on more specifics and practical application etc..

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #63 on: 2015-11-02, 00:40:40 »
out of armour? OUT OF ARMOUR? BUY MORE MAN! lol what about the weapons and their effects on said armour.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #64 on: 2015-11-02, 01:56:52 »
According to the last effigy shown, the corners of your mustache should droop outside the aventail.   ;)

Just kidding, you’ve produced yet another wonderful video!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 2015-11-02, 02:26:25 »
According to the last effigy shown, the corners of your mustache should droop outside the aventail.   ;)

Working on it!!
My Pinterest

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 2015-11-21, 21:25:04 »
I forgot to update this, so here's me timing how long it takes to get in kit.  I was actually pretty surprised that it was so quick:

And here's this week's video on the Great Bascinet.  Bob lent me his Mac helm for this video!

My Pinterest

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #67 on: 2015-11-22, 03:33:11 »
I love the split screen mobility shot.  Nicely done!   8)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #68 on: 2015-11-24, 12:24:18 »
Awesome video again, Ian. :) :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #69 on: 2015-11-26, 21:02:08 »
Regarding your last video on internet resources, first off, I love that you’re delving into good online resources. I’m always looking for new sites that I might not know about.

Second—and this was just something that popped into my little pea brain—maybe have a video at some point dealing with how to distinguish a good resource from a bad one. Books, sites, whatever. What to look for, what to watch out for. I don’t know if that would be too difficult to do, or if you’d even be interested in doing it. If not, no big deal. Just a thought. :)

(Also, Holy cow, the guys from Warhorse Studio watch your videos! ;D)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 2015-11-27, 17:55:59 »
Good idea Doug.  I've added that to the list of my video ideas.  Along those lines I also want to try to give people an idea on how to critically analyze visual sources like manuscript illuminations.  People love to fall into the trap of mis-using miniatures to justify all kinds of things from cleaving helmets in twain, 'proof' of blackened armor in the 14th century... etc etc..

Yeah, I was pretty psyched when Warhorse Studios started dropping by on my videos!  I thought it was pretty cool that they forwarded the last video along to their 2d/3d art department :)
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #71 on: 2015-11-30, 14:11:11 »
Oh yes, interpreting manuscript images would be a great topic. Maybe some points to consider, since it's broader than just what armor/weapons are depicted, including what's mentioned above:

* Distinguishing what was visual accuracy, versus exaggeration.

* No "lightsaber" capabilities in weapons, despite the Mac Bible. ;)

* Some images were like "stories" with the same character appearing more than once in the same image. Mac Bible does this too.

* Size differences often indicate emphasis, such as a tall person simply being an important figure, and his attendants might be half his height in the image.

* Sometimes choice of armament also indicates who the important person is in the scene, rather than depicting the actual spread of weapons in use.

... That's all that's coming to mind at the moment. Just some ideas. ;)

« Last Edit: 2015-11-30, 14:12:00 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: 2015-11-30, 17:07:11 »
This video series is going to get me in trouble with my lady wife.
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #73 on: 2015-12-01, 03:46:51 »
A fighting buddy of mine linked a video titled "How Much does all that Weigh?" on FB.  I mentioned that he should check out the entire series to which he responded "I've been binge watching them  :) ".

Ian, you're reaching the mainstream SCA audience and grabbing everyone's attention.  Well done!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #74 on: 2015-12-01, 13:34:09 »
Oh yes, interpreting manuscript images would be a great topic. Maybe some points to consider ...

... That's all that's coming to mind at the moment. Just some ideas. ;)

Thanks Ed, all good stuff and added to my notes. :)
My Pinterest