"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Armor Series  (Read 54185 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Armor Series
« Reply #30 on: 2015-08-31, 02:33:23 »
Great video as always!  Man the new guys sure have it easy!  I remember trying to figure this stuff out pre-Internet...

Thank you sir!

Here's the torso armor video:

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

westcoastgio

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: 2015-09-11, 14:53:17 »
I can never get sabatons without them being custom
I am a size 15 US Mens  :'(

I feel you, size 14EEE with surgically installed arches here. period footwear and I might never happen.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2015-09-13, 22:07:54 »
Arms is up!

My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #33 on: 2015-09-14, 01:16:23 »
Awesome. I've been attempting a c.1320 arm harness, so I've been waiting for this one. :)

Okay, two questions. I've been using de Bacon, FitzRalph, and a little bit of d'Abernoun as reference for my arms, and none of them really show how the upper part of the rerebrace terminates. They don't appear like they would have articulated spaudlers, instead relying on the rondels. Would I be correct to assume that the rondels are the only protection on the shoulders?

Secondly, are you planning on doing any further videos like this on other topics once you've covered your entire harness? :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2015-09-14, 02:08:40 »
Abernoun looks, to me, like he has a separate single plate shoulder cop. The other 2, I do not think do.

Check with Dr Metz, as he recently had an armor based on one of these (or similar) commissioned and completed.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2015-09-14, 02:45:29 »
de Bacon and FitzRalph appear to be rondels only for the shoulders.  d'Abernoun is harder to tell, because it looks like he has a rondel on his shoulder (since what is there is drawn in the identical style to his elbow rondel), but the line is cut off by what looks like a continuation of the edge of his surcoat, which doesn't really make sense.  I feel like if he's got rondels on the shoulder he probably doesn't have a shoulder cop too, but I can't prove that.

Joe's new arms are inspired by FitzRalph.  I'm not sure what they used to arrive at desgn for the termination of the rerebrace, but I'm not sure there's anything definitive to guide you other than speculation on that.

As far as more videos go, yes I'd like to.  I haven't really sat down and brainstormed ideas yet though.
My Pinterest

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #36 on: 2015-09-14, 18:31:22 »
Love these. Keep them coming.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2015-09-16, 01:53:17 »
Second though on Aubernoun. The line of the cop seems to follow the line of his surcoat. Could that be a very very short sleeved surcoat, with the mail coif over top? And the obvious rondels.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2015-09-20, 19:20:07 »
Gauntlets

My Pinterest

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2015-09-21, 04:04:33 »
Loved it!  Who made your gaunts?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2015-09-21, 12:09:01 »
Loved it!  Who made your gaunts?

Thank you.  Jeff Wasson made the gauntlets.  He made all of it, except for my helmets.
My Pinterest

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2015-09-28, 00:10:21 »
Had to break helmets up into multiple videos.  Started off with the Great Helm.  Bob Charrette was nice enough to lend me his Mac made helm and bascinet for this one!

My Pinterest

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2015-09-28, 15:41:28 »
Great video!

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #43 on: 2015-09-28, 16:39:05 »
As much as I like the aesthetics of flat top great helms, I have to wonder what spurred the armorers to go in that direction. Conical and hemispherical designs had already existed, so it's not like that knowledge didn't develop until the later sugarloafs (sugarloaves?). It seems like the more that plate covered the lower head, the flatter and wider the tops became. Then they began to narrow until they cycled back to the peaked styles. And it wasn't a short-lived experiment, either, quickly discarded when they realized having a big, inviting landing pad on the top of your head wasn't the greatest idea. They were around for—what?—a couple of centuries, and seem to have been very widespread.

Why not just tack on plate to the already existing conical helms? Was it a cost thing? A sudden influx of lower-skilled armorers? Lack of materials? Easier to mass-produce? A fashion thing? I'm sure there was a reason, but it's beyond me.  ???
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2015-09-28, 17:37:33 »
As much as I like the aesthetics of flat top great helms, I have to wonder what spurred the armorers to go in that direction. Conical and hemispherical designs had already existed, so it's not like that knowledge didn't develop until the later sugarloafs (sugarloaves?). It seems like the more that plate covered the lower head, the flatter and wider the tops became. Then they began to narrow until they cycled back to the peaked styles. And it wasn't a short-lived experiment, either, quickly discarded when they realized having a big, inviting landing pad on the top of your head wasn't the greatest idea. They were around for—what?—a couple of centuries, and seem to have been very widespread.

Why not just tack on plate to the already existing conical helms? Was it a cost thing? A sudden influx of lower-skilled armorers? Lack of materials? Easier to mass-produce? A fashion thing? I'm sure there was a reason, but it's beyond me.  ???

I've often wondered the same exact thing.  You would think they would have arrived at something similar to the sugarloaf first since they already had the top half! 

Maybe the nasal helms shrunk into skullcaps faster than we see and they were worn under even the earliest great helms.  I don't know... 
My Pinterest