"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Armor Series  (Read 54201 times)

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
Re: Armor Series
« Reply #45 on: 2015-09-28, 19:39:20 »
It could've come out of the flat topped helmets wanting to move thw point of impact away from the head as well as the face, similar to burgonets having combs and brims.

A flat top sits taller than conical helmets, much like a bascinet sits a fair height above the skull, however, they also sit a bit out, offering protection from downward blows by moving the point of impact further out from the head.

If this then gradually shrunk to accomodate for a more slanted glancing surface underneath, it follows that they didn't redesign the top until it got small enough to where they turned into sugarloafes and Pembridge tops.
Shiny.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #46 on: 2015-09-28, 20:24:59 »
Why did they go away from face protection in the first place?  It's seems like Viking and other Iron Age helmets had spectacle plates and cheek flaps, yet they were discarded in favor of the conical nasal helms.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-28, 20:32:40 by Sir Patrick »
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #47 on: 2015-09-28, 20:37:17 »
Fashion to an extent, but nasals are suprisingly efficient at protecting the face, especially with maille for your jawline, most incoming blows at most angles will meet either the nasal, or maille with sturdy bones underneath.

We also have to question how common or rare oculars really were, don't we have at least as many found nasals during the viking age as we have oculars? And there is only one Scandinavian helmet found from the era and it is without cheekplates (which were more likely a remnant of the roman helmet construction, kept during the vendel period but not seen in the actual viking helmet).
Shiny.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #48 on: 2015-10-01, 11:40:06 »
Fashion to an extent, but nasals are suprisingly efficient at protecting the face, especially with maille for your jawline, most incoming blows at most angles will meet either the nasal, or maille with sturdy bones underneath.

I think thats one of the reasons the Ventail was created. Although in later use I think it transfers from defending the mouth, to acting as an extra dagger defense for the chin and throat when helms with face plates came into use.

It could've come out of the flat topped helmets wanting to move thw point of impact away from the head as well as the face, similar to burgonets having combs and brims.

A flat top sits taller than conical helmets, much like a bascinet sits a fair height above the skull, however, they also sit a bit out, offering protection from downward blows by moving the point of impact further out from the head.

If this then gradually shrunk to accomodate for a more slanted glancing surface underneath, it follows that they didn't redesign the top until it got small enough to where they turned into sugarloafes and Pembridge tops.
Not only is the point of impact farther from the head, but I find the brim of the helmet is very strong.
I think it would also be quite difficult to land a flat blow on the top of the helm with single-handed shaft weapons (maces and smaller axes) and swords. Most blows will be at an angle, and having that brim defense would seem pretty sound, and probably still glance off the attack. With a rounded top, that brim is taken away, a blow just glances off. So in the end, the rounded top is still superior...

Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #49 on: 2015-10-01, 22:23:09 »
Great videos Ian!! :) Finally caught up.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2015-10-11, 20:49:33 »
One Helmet to Rule Them All!  Well... my favorite anyway... The Bascinet:

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #51 on: 2015-10-14, 18:26:56 »
Great vid!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 2015-10-18, 19:43:11 »
Kettle Hats:

My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #53 on: 2015-10-18, 23:23:19 »
Have any more information on that first extant kettle you showed near the beginning of the video? I've never seen that one before.

Awesome video as always! I really enjoy your style of presentation.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 2015-10-18, 23:27:24 »
Have any more information on that first extant kettle you showed near the beginning of the video? I've never seen that one before.

Awesome video as always! I really enjoy your style of presentation.

Thanks.  It was a Visby find, but it illustrated spangen construction because it probably predates Visby by a lot.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-18, 23:27:44 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #55 on: 2015-10-19, 02:10:26 »
I really enjoy your series of videos Ian.   :)

I noticed you emphasized the hard “et” in sallet partway through the video.   ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #56 on: 2015-10-19, 20:16:19 »

BTW I just wanted to chime in and say I really like how you're taking the time to explain in detail, and yet assume little prior knowledge so that it's informative to newbies. I know we have a few of the videos posted on the FB page, but probably haven't posted all.

Maybe we should set up a page on the website with the videos embedded so they're easily accessible in one place?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #57 on: 2015-10-19, 22:04:25 »
Excellent videos Ian. Just got caught up. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 2015-10-20, 13:20:43 »

BTW I just wanted to chime in and say I really like how you're taking the time to explain in detail, and yet assume little prior knowledge so that it's informative to newbies.

Thanks.  One of my goals was to make them accessible to people who may not be studied on these topics.  Firstly, because I'm lazy and it's nice to be able to point to a video instead of constantly having to duplicate work.  Secondly though, and more importantly, I think for people newly interested it can be hard to figure out where to break in to serious study, and I want to get them decent information to start with, not an Osprey book or Hollywood, ya know? ;)

I noticed you emphasized the hard “et” in sallet partway through the video.   ;)

:)
« Last Edit: 2015-10-20, 13:22:01 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #59 on: 2015-10-20, 13:40:05 »
Thanks.  One of my goals was to make them accessible to people who may not be studied on these topics.  Firstly, because I'm lazy and it's nice to be able to point to a video instead of constantly having to duplicate work.  Secondly though, and more importantly, I think for people newly interested it can be hard to figure out where to break in to serious study, and I want to get them decent information to start with, not an Osprey book or Hollywood, ya know? ;)

Heck yeah. It makes me wish we had something like this when we were all getting started. There are lots of details in there where it would have been like "Oh wow, that's brilliant and makes total sense, but I wouldn't have thought of that!" And what makes it great is that you have a very nice kit to use as an example. The greaves episode in particular comes to mind, since most people just simply have never seen a properly made set.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-20, 13:40:36 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )