"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Armorers  (Read 8080 times)

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
Armorers
« on: 2015-07-15, 03:02:01 »
Sadly enough now that Allan is out of business I am wondering already where I will be able to get my armor from. I am young and cant do $2000 pieces that's why Allan was so great he gave quality products at reasonable prices. If any of you have favorite armorers or companys or shops online you like please do not hesitate to mention them even If I end up not being able to afford them I can still dream haha
« Last Edit: 2015-07-15, 03:04:05 by Sampf »
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Armorers
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-15, 14:46:57 »
You may want to look at some of the Eastern European armorers out there.  Wild Armoury and Jolly Knight Armoury are two examples that turn out very nice work that is also very affordable depending on what types of styles and pieces you're after.  There are many others out there and others can chime in.

One thing to keep in mind, is that while armor is expensive, it's also not something you usually get very quickly.  It's definitely a long-game kind of project.  It's taken me years to get my kit together, and I'm still evolving it and replacing things as I learn more and have access to better information.  The point is, even if the armor is expensive, don't worry about what a whole kit will cost you, worry about it piece by piece and bite off a chunk at a time.  Buy the absolute best that you can afford, and even if it takes you a couple years to have the kit you want, you'll be much happier with it.  You'll also spend less money in the long run, because if you buy cheap to buy now, you will end up replacing everything and spending twice if not more.

I know people getting in to this don't want to hear "Have patience my friend,"  but if there's one piece of sage advice I think everyone one of us who have been doing and researching this for years now would say... it's that.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-15, 19:55:07 »
So much wisdom that I wish I had been told back in the beginning. I justify it to myself now by saying that it was all a learning experience, and there is a lot of truth to that - building one inferior kit after another - each one better than the last - is a great learning experience. But it more than doubled, possibly even trippled the long term cost of the "fully evolved" full harness. I put that in quotes because if you're really serious about armor it's never really finished evolving. The more you collect, the more you learn, and the more you learn the more you realize you want to change about your harness. And if you ever do actually get to the end, there's always the 15th century....

Also I think each enthusiast has their own slightly different perspective, born from our individual reasons for getting into this and the way we came into it, so our internal experiences and feelings about the journey of learning about armor will reflect our own unique  personal situations. But I would guess that for the majority the above would nonetheless hold true.

Scott

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-15, 20:29:02 »
Sadly enough now that Allan is out of business I am wondering already where I will be able to get my armor from. I am young and cant do $2000 pieces that's why Allan was so great he gave quality products at reasonable prices. If any of you have favorite armorers or companys or shops online you like please do not hesitate to mention them even If I end up not being able to afford them I can still dream haha

Try this guy for 14th century plate or splinted armor. I ordered both & his price plus quality is just right.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/IronWoodsShop?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-15, 20:44:58 »
Since I am still young I really do not care for aesthetics and looks, as long as I can get hit in it and it resembles what I am after then I am really happy. For instance my helmet cost $150 and looks like what I am after plus I have been mercilessly beat in it and I am still alive haha

The reason I am not big on the expensive side yet is because I am young and despite already being 6 foot I am still growing so I am still waiting to get to my full height before getting a Major awesome kit otherwise I am afraid I may outgrow it.

I dread the day that I will outgrow allans awesome breastplate

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-15, 21:52:37 »
then buy whatcha like :) but don't expect a nerf leather skyrim armour to be called period ;)

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-15, 22:40:34 »
Ha yea I see a lot of that

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-18, 03:52:06 »
Since I am still young I really do not care for aesthetics and looks, as long as I can get hit in it and it resembles what I am after then I am really happy. For instance my helmet cost $150 and looks like what I am after plus I have been mercilessly beat in it and I am still alive haha

The reason I am not big on the expensive side yet is because I am young and despite already being 6 foot I am still growing so I am still waiting to get to my full height before getting a Major awesome kit otherwise I am afraid I may outgrow it.

Wow, that was me 1989!  Thanks for the flashback to fond memories.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-18, 04:34:50 »
I am glad to be one of the younger ones that are into this, Unfortunately you don't see many like me that are so interested in this stuff. Its really funny all my friends ask me to buy a game to play it with them and my response is usually "I cant I'm saving for my next armor piece" 

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-18, 16:47:15 »

As I've heard someone say to me before, "Fetch the breastplate stretcher!"
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-18, 17:43:52 »

As I've heard someone say to me before, "Fetch the breastplate stretcher!"

Easier just to rack the wearer. ;)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #11 on: 2015-07-18, 23:56:44 »
Haha game of thrones reference I only wish there where such a thing

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2015-07-20, 14:41:19 »

Try this guy for 14th century plate or splinted armor. I ordered both & his price plus quality is just right.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/IronWoodsShop?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

The fluting and accents on their armor look weird to my eyes, but I do like the look of their splinted gear.  On closer inspection, I must rescind- the splints on the outside, especially on the legs, look way too small to be of anything more than rudimentary in use.  The arms are only slightly better.  Good fantasy site though, thanks for sharing Dane.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #13 on: 2015-07-20, 18:37:21 »
Yea they do, I'm looking for some functional splinted or plate
(A person/Company that can make it)