"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Charity and selfless service  (Read 4129 times)

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
Charity and selfless service
« on: 2015-07-01, 20:58:21 »
So, I hear that this organization donates its proceeds to charity. That is truly admirable and chivalrous. In the spirit of chivalry, what other ways do each of you individually try to make your respective communities a better place? I frequently volunteer with the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) Center on Fort Riley. Specifically the Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers (BOSS) program. We help to promote morale, organize trips, and provide entertainment for the Soldiers that live in the barracks. I also donate to the make-a-wish foundation whenever I can.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Michael

• New Forum Member
  • Always striving to be a man of high morals
Re: Charity and selfless service
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-02, 12:16:09 »
Well as for charity and selfless service I served my country through my service in the United States Navy during the gulf war.  Everyday I put my life on the line with my other law enforcement brothers and sisters to keep others safe, so that they can sleep in peace at night.  I mentor at risk youth who have had little or no positive male role models in their life.  This is how I am trying to make the world a better place.  As for charities I give to a few of them anonymously.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; this is your oath. (slap) And that is so you remember it. Rise a knight.

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-02, 15:13:25 »
That is very admirable. Thank you kindly for your service, Sir.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-02, 16:27:40 »
Members of the Order of the Marshal do longsword demos at Virginia renfaire, as well as some other places time to time.
We ask for donation (Donate $5 or more and you get an order of the marshal Button!)
all the proceeds from those go to the make a wish foundation.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-02, 16:28:30 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-02, 17:14:44 »
That is awesome! I would be honored to be a part of this noble organization someday.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-03, 14:38:30 »

Unfortunately, we ran out of buttons, so we didn't have those this year. I don't think it really helped encourage donations anyway.

Those of us that do the swordsmanship demos have also done some of these demos as charity contributions themselves, at some local venues. For instance, the assisted living center last week, and also some of the "Mother-Son Dinner & Dance" events held at the military bases, Fort Belvoir and Bolling Air Force Base (though these did also donate some money). The Catholic University medieval day was like that as well.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )