"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: What is your medieval weapon of choice?  (Read 51130 times)

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
What is your medieval weapon of choice?
« on: 2015-06-30, 18:45:47 »
So, just for fun, if you could fight using any type of medieval weapon, what would it be and why? Would you use a straight-sword and shield for the speed and versatility? Would you use a great sword for the power? A mace for the brutality? A halberd for the reach? I personally would go for a two-handed great sword, just so that the opponent would think twice about trying to block my attack.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
Re: What is your medieval weapon of choice?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-01, 04:01:24 »
Id use either a Messer for the fear factor and the fact that you can nearly slice a man in half with it. That thing is heavy with enough momentum and a sharp blade they are finished (not so good against armor but still)

If not a messer Id use the hammer of lucerine because with that I could slam through someones helm into their skull or use the pick side to do the same to un armored people
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-01, 04:13:27 »
Ooh, a hammer! Nice. I hadn't thought of that. That would be intimidating to see flying at you. One solid hit and you're probably done.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-01, 04:20:56 »
On horse or ground give me a good hefty sabre. Stout enough to remove a limb and not so curved that it has an ineffective thrust.
Violentia Aureus

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-01, 04:32:55 »
A saber? Hmm, nice speed, one solid swing and off goes a limb. I could see that. I like it.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-01, 05:11:42 »
For rebated or rattan combat I prefer the poleaxe.  The reach is nice and you can slash, smash, poke & hook.  Often overlooked is the ability for a close-quarters strike with the butt-spike.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-01, 09:53:04 »
Wow! That sounds like quite the versatile weapon. It's always good to have multiple methods of attack with your weapon.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-01, 17:39:28 »
A trebuchet so I can hurl big rocks at things. ;D
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-01, 17:40:43 »
Haha! That would probably be the most entertaining. I have always wanted to see one of those in action.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-01, 17:41:44 by Justin »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-01, 18:15:35 »
I do love a good sword, but for myself- a hammer with a wicked back spike and a shield.  No matter which way the head's turned, you can deliver a crushing blow and being able to cherry pick heads with that pointed back spike all from the cover of a shield is a winner for me.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-01, 19:28:12 »
An iron defense, with an unstoppable offense. A combination to be feared indeed.

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #11 on: 2015-07-02, 04:14:30 »
If I was ranged however. I would want a longbow/war bow  why? Because English archers where feared because of their deadly accuracy and ability to take down ranks of lightly armored footmen from afar.
You had to be so strong just to fire one that they can Identify archers bodies by their enlarged shooting arm.
Now that's a weapon you don't want to see haha
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2015-07-02, 04:55:52 »
Poleaxe, without a doubt :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: 2015-07-02, 06:50:26 »
If I was ranged however. I would want a longbow/war bow  why? Because English archers where feared because of their deadly accuracy and ability to take down ranks of lightly armored footmen from afar.
You had to be so strong just to fire one that they can Identify archers bodies by their enlarged shooting arm.
Now that's a weapon you don't want to see haha

That sounds brutal. Still, you can't really argue that dispatching your opponent before they even have a chance to get near you is a good way to go about things.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2015-07-02, 16:40:28 »
Dual wielding Trebuchets  ;D
Hmmm... I can't decide.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"