"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Weight Work For Shield Shoulder (video).  (Read 5047 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Weight Work For Shield Shoulder (video).
« on: 2015-06-01, 06:38:43 »
Cause too many of us will need/do need shoulder surgery.

Some basic exercises to keep you healthy and keep your shoulders happy while using a shield. Wish I had done this while fighting in the SCA 5 years ago, it would have kept me from tearing my left shoulder my Orthopedist says.

« Last Edit: 2015-06-01, 06:39:26 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Weight Work For Shield Shoulder (video).
« Reply #1 on: 2015-06-04, 16:32:01 »

I'm probably going to start needing to do something like this after my shoulder recovers a bit. Now that I'm dealing with this, it's something I don't really want to repeat if I can help it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-06-04, 16:52:36 »

I'm probably going to start needing to do something like this after my shoulder recovers a bit. Now that I'm dealing with this, it's something I don't really want to repeat if I can help it.

As a person with a serious shoulder injury, I don't recommend doing that.  I recommend consulting a physical therapist or ortho directly.  Shoulder injury pathologies are widely varied and complex because of the nature of the joint and it's not a one-size-fits-all kind of path to recovery or injury prevention, especially if you've already done some damage.  General strengthening of the rotator cuff is always a good idea to prevent injury, but even then just doing the exercise a little bit wrong (with no indication to the person doing the exercise) can actually cause more problems than it solves.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-04, 16:54:25 »

That's a good point. I'm hoping what I have is relatively minor and will clear up on its own, once I get past the VARF season. But if not, I'll definitely be looking at a professional opinion.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2015-06-05, 20:32:24 »
All of these are designed to work with a mostly healthy shoulder. The rotator cuff stuff is designed to work with & for shield work & to counter the damage that shield work does.
Fall down seven, get up eight.