"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Historical Accuracy in Maille- are Bingo Wings strictly a modern issue?  (Read 10312 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Hmm...that depends; according to this effigy, BW armor may have been on the field after all:

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/846/3313/

See?  I should've held onto my bell-bottom armed original hauberk.  lol

I'm kidding, I figured that was artistic license moreso than an eye for accuracy.  Am I wrong in that assumption?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
And here's another one, German, Otto von Orlamunde, 1340.

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/3193/3138/

Looks like his sleeve blouses to allow for his brig-style vambrace.  I'd think that'd be a pain to have flapping about in a fight.  Thoughts, anyone?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I've seen a decent chunk of representative artwork that suggests bingo-wings on the forearms are used specifically with forearm armor intentionally worn as the inner layer so the maille is intended to be draped over the rigid protection.  Same with upper arm bingo-wings.  When the rerebrace connects to the doublet, and the maille is bloused over the rerebrace the maille needs bingo-wings to drape properly.  But if maille is the inner-most defense, then it obviously needs to be fitted.  :)  So bingo-wings are historical, IF the maille is being draped over another piece of armor.  I'm sure there are counter-examples, but that's a good rule of thumb.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
That's worth keeping in mind- but I'm reasonably sure I won't go that route.  I didn't care for that look.  I remember you mentioning that in some Italian armors, they'd wear a mail piece instead of pauldrons/spaulders?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Italy ca. 1400

ca. 1380

My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Hm.  I actually don't mind the look- let me ask you, do you wear maille below the waist, other than the haubergeon?  That's actually what I really want to avoid.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Good to know
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Hm.  I actually don't mind the look- let me ask you, do you wear maille below the waist, other than the haubergeon?  That's actually what I really want to avoid.

The only maille I wear is my haubergeon.  If I ever get a full cuirass, I will convert my maille to something like this:

**edit**

I do wear a maille pisan on my neck and the aventail... but I meant waist level or below, it's just the haubergeon **
« Last Edit: 2015-05-27, 20:24:53 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Why?  To cut down on weight?  That's a 2 piecer, skirt and shirt right?  What do you wear to protect your nether regions?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Why?  To cut down on weight?  That's a 2 piecer, skirt and shirt right?  What do you wear to protect your nether regions?

It's both more comfortable and lighter.  The paunces (skirt of maille) is the only thing that protects the groin, no change from the haubergeon. 
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sir Ian covered the Italian armor already, which is the one I know of for the "floppy mail sleeve" style. I don't like citing a modern reference, but since it's Dr Tobias Capwell....

(I want that armor. So. Bad.)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Dr. Capwell is a beast- I want his black harness!  First time I saw it I think I man-swooned.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Gods you guys are making me want to go 14th cen so bad. Maille, Klappavisor, Corazina's, Pembridge helm, & all the other sexiness.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-30, 21:48:34 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Gods you guys are making me want to go 14th cen so bad. Maille, Klappavisor, Corazina's, Pembridge helm, & all the other sexiness.

Come to the dark side Thorsteinn.....
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.

Come to the dark side Thorsteinn.....

Yes!! The Pembridge helm is calling to you.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)