"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm  (Read 4494 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm
« on: 2015-04-26, 01:36:30 »
Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm. 2/5 Stars.

Full Disclosure: I don't go dirt at all. I bought this as I overheat a lot, liked the idea of a visor blocking out the setting or rising sun, and having a high vis helmet.

Helm is true to size, the color is good, it breathes VERY well with 6 ports to fiddle with (a big bonus in my mind), and the visor blocks the sun from the front well. My issues are with the width of view, the padding(or lack there of), the chinstrap, and the visor distortion.

The Bad: The width is far enough that the sun at all bot almost directly overhead can pour right into your eye even when you have glasses on. The padding feels very minimal and doesn't hold onto your head well making it pinch is spots and overall be very uncomfortable. There are gaps bad enough that a test ride down the alley had it bouncing around my head at every bump. The visor distortion is standable if you look 15ft away but up close it can make the instruments hard to read,. This may have to do with me wearing glasses for astigmatism but I doubt it. The strap is too short, hard to snap on, and worst of all feels like you're being throttled. It doesn't feel safe,

The Good: There is a LOT to like about this helmet, and if the side vision & padding was fixed I'd buy it again. G-Max is a hairs breath, and a little tweaking, from having a fantastic budget helm for most riding. Am returning to seller and buying an HJC CS-17, I don't want to, but I do need the helm to stay steady on my head while riding & to block out the side vision, and the HJC helm does that well.

« Last Edit: 2015-04-26, 01:37:17 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-26, 01:37:50 »
And the Marketplace seller is being a shmuck with the return too.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-28, 22:25:46 »
So the helmet odyssey continues. Bought this one, HJC CL-17, for $101. I wore an HJC for years and this hat does fit (tried it on at Michael's Reno Powersports). It's about $49 cheaper than normal. I believe due to the paint scheme being discontinued.

(reg version, not snow version below)