"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: 12th or 13th century living history group  (Read 12298 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
12th or 13th century living history group
« on: 2015-04-20, 08:17:16 »
I've been considering forming my own 12th or 13th century living history group. To be honest we dont have many members who would be willing to join. I know Aiden and Nate are interested for sure, another guy from DoK expressed interest as well. I am wondering if any of you will show interest as well, we will most likely do third crusade era which would match in with Robert Coleman's Order of St Maurice group, most likely we'd camp with them at DoK as well, though we'd be able to do our own living history events as well. I'm not sure how many members in this order would enjoy this sort of thing, I thought Sir William might be interested as well though I am trying to write some minimum standards for the group which arent too harsh but I am going to encourage the "maille without bingo wings" look for our members unless you're doing a poorer representation in which the baggy sleeved hauberks were used. Doug David might be interested as well. Note this is a living history group so it has to be locally based in the Northeast.

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
Re: 12th or 13th century living history group
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-30, 16:13:09 »
Sounds great - just wish you guys were doing 14th cent and were closer :-\
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Ser Cor Volaire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2017-03-06, 02:33:13 »
Im late to the party on this, but are you still trying to form a 12th cen. group? I would be down. I am putting together a late 12th/earlier 13th cen. Templar impression. I am also hoping to put together an impression from my family's homeland of southern italy.

AnsalonPaladin

• Keeper Of Brass
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2017-03-07, 04:58:12 »
By bingo wings I'm going to assume you don't mean ailettes since those are period AF for 12th century 3rd crusade?

Also I'm in Virginia and feel pretty down. It all depends on the schedule/location/frequency of events. Plus- will we be fighting?
"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" -De Re Militari

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-08, 04:09:08 »
By bingo wings I'm going to assume you don't mean ailettes since those are period AF for 12th century 3rd crusade?

Also I'm in Virginia and feel pretty down. It all depends on the schedule/location/frequency of events. Plus- will we be fighting?

Mail bingo wings = ill fitting mail near the elbow area that droops like old lady bingo wings (loose arm skin).

Public service announcement:  The first hit on a Google image search for "chainmail bingo wings" returns our very own Ian in his very well tailored, non-bingo wing, mail.  The majority of the images are Not Safe For Work!  :o
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-08, 16:09:09 »

I take it AF means not period.... Ailettes don't become common in art until the early 1300's. They are at the earliest suitable for late 13th century kits.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Cedric of Havenhall

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2017-04-22, 19:05:02 »
Sounds great - just wish you guys were doing 14th cent and were closer :-\

I would love to do a 14th century group.  Anyone in the Pacific Northwest?  Actually I was thinking that by changing out basic kit elements it would be possible to cover a larger timeframe

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2017-04-24, 01:13:16 »
[Anyone in the Pacific Northwest?

I only miss living in the PNW on days that end in Y.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2017-04-30, 02:50:41 »
Im late to the party on this, but are you still trying to form a 12th cen. group? I would be down. I am putting together a late 12th/earlier 13th cen. Templar impression. I am also hoping to put together an impression from my family's homeland of southern italy.
Yes actually I would be. I already have some local people willing to form a group of sorts. I met a guy at DoK who does this era as well and lives in Jersey. My stuff still fits me fine so I am up for it if anyone else is willing.