"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Desire for Re-Enactment/living Hisotry and simply more wisdom.  (Read 3745 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Recently I have been pondering when I will participate in my first re-enactment event and have stumbled upon some issues
- accurate kit
- proper info
- proper etiquette
- accessing re-enactment worthy items

I wonder how and where I can achieve better quality info of the Middle Ages. Or simply, quality research and sources.
I ask where to begin, because I do feel I have a good understanding on medieval armor and history in a broader sense, but am still lacking in ways I never imagined. How do I improve?

As far as an accurate kit goes, I have some things that are okay. Indian made riveted hauberk, 13th century padding, chausses, turnshoes etc.
I think kit may be the easiest. I don't how far stitching and quality goes in the re-enactment world. I understand materials like wool and linen being highly preferred. I'm not very sure about heraldry, and colors. What is makes a kit good/acceptable/outstanding?

Etiquette
I have hardly any re-enactment experience. I'm used to talking about swords and armor and the crusades in front of people though. I'm wondering more as to, how I am supposed to act in re-enactment/living history settings. I want to become more mature than I am now. I think many would say I am more mature in person than I am online(which is a bad habit) but I hope to enter these settings with an understanding of how to be. And even change my online etiquette with re-enactment ground/living history online.
I want to be more professional. Which I think is and will be a challenge since I'm young.

What kinds of places can one get accurate gear for a fair budget? Gear can also include; chairs, chests tents, weapon stands, etc. (Not my current budget, but for the future)

So as to summarize
How can I become a more professional, and well researched re-enactor?(even though I haven't really participated in it yet)

Note: bare with me, maybe I'm too young to be concerned with any of this to this degree yet, but I'd like stronger roots set for the future.

« Last Edit: 2015-04-17, 03:47:54 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
One piece of advice I've learned is revolves around having an “accurate kit”.  My kit looks OK from 10 feet away which is great for the SCA, but embarrassing for living history.

All of my presentations have been for children from elementary through high school grade levels.  The 4th graders don’t care and don’t know the difference.  Simply having a Knight in armour in their classroom talking about medieval history is exciting enough.

I did my usual “how a Knight shall be armed” for the high school kids, then stepped out of character and explained to them what was historically inaccurate with my kit.

You must understand that your current kit is very nice!   8)  Don’t wait for the “perfect kit”.  Just jump in and do it.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
bare with me

I'll be keeping my clothes on, thank you very much  ;).

Talking about armor and swords is good and all. Just make damn sure you can also talk about the historical context of the arms and armor. If you're going to present a knight in the 1250's, be prepared to talk about the events of the 1250's.

There's a lot of work that goes into researching and learning a particular era or topic.

1. Become familiar with the topic or era. Keep it specific. Don't try to learn all about the Middle Ages, keep it to something small like the Norman Conquest or the First Crusade. That being said, it is imperative that you know the surrounding context of a historical event.

2. When you've identified the topic or era of most interest to you, read up on the historiography of that subject. It's boring, it's dry, but it's necessary. You need to know how other historians have studied, what the different interpretations are, who the current historians are, etc.

3. Go out and read books. Make sure the book is published by an academic press and by an author with a PhD in the subject. Make sure the book has footnotes and a works cited section. Also, make sure the book was published recently. History doesn't change, but how it's interpreted does. Books by journalists and popular presses are generally sh**. They are not held to the same degree of quality and credibility that academic books are.

4. Read scholarly articles on the topic. Scholarly articles are published in quarterly academic journals and are peer-reviewed. Random internet articles can't be trusted. These can be found on Google Scholar, JSTOR, or Project Muse. If you have a library card, you should have access to these.

5. Now that you have an idea of modern interpretations, you can start digging into primary sources. Use the footnotes and works cited sections of books to identify primary sources. Search around for databases of manuscripts and artifacts.

6. Now you can go talk about it.

As for an accurate kit, make sure you are close enough that it is recognizable. On the other hand, you need to be able to identify what is wrong with your kit and why. A good kit should be backed by primary source evidence. It should most certainly be constructed of period materials. Hand-stitching for visible seams is preferred. The items incorporated should also be appropriate for your impression. Don't wear something because it looks cool, or because it was "period correct". The most period correct gear is often times the gear you make yourself (depending on your skill) or custom made gear. Take Ian for example. He couldn't find shoes that were correctly manufactured, so he made his own. He needed a new arming garment, so he sewed his own. If you've got the skills to do it yourself (and make it look nice), you'll save money and have more accurate custom gear.

As far as re-enacting etiquette goes, be mature and respectful first and foremost. If you want to be more professional, keep quiet and observe how others act, then adjust your behavior in accordance. Leave the joking and pop-culture references at home. Clean up your spelling, syntax, and grammar (that goes a loooong way).

In the end, like everything else it takes experience. The more you do it, the more adept you will become.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
That, I can do(with time, practice and, gaining experience)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"