"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: "Cutting through a rapier with another sword - possible?" <vid>  (Read 5669 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
SCIENCE!!!

You know you want to watch.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Yeah, but they didn’t use a Samurai sword; it can cut through concrete…

;) ;D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

The results were unsurprising. If they had used sharps, probably the only real difference is that they'd be banging up more expensive swords, and ruining the edge. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I operate under the assumption that anything is possible so...yes!  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Maybe if they get a bigger sword(or a bigger person) then again it is steel, one of the strongest metals we have, it also Is stronger and more flexible when tempered right(you know for like, that thing that begins with S and ends in D)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Of course, it's always possible to break a sword, especially if it has been bent and straightened several times. But they're most likely to break at the crossguard, or somewhere around the center of percussion where it tends to flex.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore

True, but highly improbable.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
Unless the blade was already fatigued or highly brittle it's not probable at all. Weak points in any sword are at the hilt and tang due to changes in the cut, hardening and point of transition. But as I said, it could happen if the blade was already basically broken- I have had tools break due to over hardening, I still would highly doubt this though as most of the time the force would need to be twisting and against the grain of the steel.