"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Trying to identify a show from the early 2000s - Making a Knight?  (Read 25738 times)

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
I vaguely remember a show from early-mid 2000s where the History/Military/Discovery/TLC channel selected 4 people from different backgrounds (military, fire, police, riding instructor?) and trained them in the arts of knightly combat. In the miniseries, they explain tactics, tournament fighting, armor, conditioning, and it went into some great detail. The "instructor" for most of it was Mike Loads, the guy who's on Weapon Masters now on the Military Channel. I've been trying to find clips, videos, or episodes of this show for years now, and I'm coming up short. Does anyone remember it?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

I'm afraid I don't. I think that would have been interesting to see though. I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Dragonlover

I DID in fact see pieces/parts of this program you're referring to Sir James.
Alas, as yourself, the name escapes me but it WAS very interesting....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Can probably do a lookup on THC's past episodes....?  I just tried w/no success but my google skills are not supreme commander level yet.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Ah! I saw that too. The name escapes me though. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Well I couldn't find anything on TLC, THC or Discovery about a show in the 2000s about knights.  Hope someone else can find/remember it!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
I think this may be the article what you want guvnor.

Discovery Channel to Re-run "Making of a Knight"
Submitted by Milica on Mon, 2003-03-10 17:58
For those who missed its premiere, the Discovery Channel will re-run its two-hour documentary on medieval jousting, "Medieval Tournament: Making of a Knight." Discovery describes its documentary as follows:
"Witness the recreation of the Medieval tournament in its entire spectacle. The heart of Medieval culture, these glamorous occasions were well attended by the masses and contributed to national order and stability."
In truth, the program follows four young men and their mentor as they prepare and train for an authentic jousting tourney. The two-hour program will be repeated on March 23, 2003, at 5:00 pm US Eastern time (2200 GMT).

Related Links
•http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?... (115)

Problem is, the link is broken. Some further searching on amazon or deep discount DVD might turn it up.

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
Could it possibly be "The Making of a Knight's Tale"? This one Discovery Channel has, or at least acknowledges as once having had it. And, having seen this . . ahem . . movie I can attest that a lot of it revolves around the tournament.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Way to go, Sir Ancelyn!  I couldn't find anything...that is, I found a myriad number of sites dealing with all things knightly, but nothing about an actual tv show.  Search THC, TLC and TDC turned up a goose egg...for me anyways.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Ancelyn, that description sounds spot on. I can even remember the Family Guy episode about the renn fest where they have a bit of a spoof on it as Peter trains to joust, with special guest voice R Lee Ermy (the drill sergeant).

I WILL find this somehow. Hopefully it doesn't involve resorting to going through alllll my unlabeled VHS tapes to see if I still have it on one. :D

EDIT:
Bah! Such teasing! We know it exists! http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=16664

Double gah! http://www.locatetv.com/tv/medieval-tournament--making-of-a-knight/1923787/dvd

http://television.aol.com/show/medieval-tournament-making-of-a-knight/318005/episodes
« Last Edit: 2010-10-29, 20:14:39 by James Anderson III »
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Family Guy rocks...that's one of my all-time favorite episodes.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
I've often joked about quitting my job and becoming a Ren. jouster! :D
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
It's hard to find people who can go on the road with a jousting troupe. I heard that the Freelancers (the jousting troupe at MD faire) were desperate enough that they'd get you trained up right quick if you could travel on the road. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
What sort of schedule do they keep?  I recently found out my wife's been trolling the Medieval Times sites for openings- and she knows it requires some six weeks of training and whatnot.  God, I love her- she knows what makes me tick!  Anyways...I often wondered about those guys...an infusion of new blood couldn't hurt, provided I could be assured it wouldn't be spilled regularly to put on a show.  ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

I really don't know what the schedule is like. I know I can't take the time away that it would require, otherwise I'd probably have looked into it more deeply. It's a shame the faire season ended already, I'd just say to go ask Sir Barchan at the faire. He's on facebook, but that's the only way I know to reach him off-season.
Sir Ed T. Toton III