"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: The Battle of Agincourt :D  (Read 4717 times)

Sir Hancz

• New Forum Member
  • Knight
The Battle of Agincourt :D
« on: 2015-03-18, 03:47:03 »
Hey everybody, I've been looking at lots of medieval battles lately, and I've taken a liking to the battle of Agincourt. I've known about it for a long time, but have just now gotten around to writing about it. It was a major victory for the English and a major loss for the french, no questions there. So, what I do know is this:

King Henry's army was dying of starvation while he was campaigning through France.
The French army was twice as big, if not, triple the size of Henry's army.
The night before the battle (my birthday :D) it rained, and made the fields muddy for the next day, which was a major advantage for the English.
Henry's archers were a critical part of the battle, and the muddy fields helped them out quite a lot.
The battle took place on October 25, 1415.

So, I want to hear some other facts if you know any as well as your opinions on the battle. I for one am going to say that this is my favorite medieval battle so far! Thanks for your time :)
« Last Edit: 2015-03-18, 03:48:12 by Sir Hancz »
"A true knight is full of bravery in the midst, than in the beginning of danger."~ Philip Sidney

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Battle of Agincourt :D
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-18, 12:25:23 »
They're going to celebrate the 600th anniversary of this battle in France this year; last year sometime they'd sent out a call looking to recruit 1000 archers to demonstrate the shower of arrows the English inundated the incoming French troops with during the celebration, as well as a mock battle in full harness.  I've got nothing 15th C so it was a no go for me, but I did consider going to spectate it.

As for the battle itself, after the famous St. Crispin's day speech- you've got the gist, minus the blood, entrails, snot, sh**, the weeping, the crying and screaming (and the praying) and death.  Lots of death.

Nothing glorious about any of it- despite the fact that there are numerous books on the subject.  A major victory for the English early in their campaign to take the French throne during the Hundred Years' War (their second, Crecy being the first) - and they would go on to win more battles but eventually, the French would rise up and repel the English from their shores and that not until after the vigorous Henry V died in 1422.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-18, 13:37:51 »
Sir Hancz,

It is one of my favorites too.  In fact it is the subject of my latest young reader's novel, "The Archer's Son."   Our very own Sir Ian did the graphic design for the cover of the book.   I can't participate in the reenactment this year, but I will visit the battlefield just a couple of week prior to the actual 600th anniversery. 

http://www.amazon.com/Archers-Son-M-E-Hubbs-ebook/dp/B00LNSETMI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405092014&sr=8-2&keywords=the+archers+son
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-19, 14:41:51 »
Sir Humphrey, that was a good read, I enjoyed it.  I only wished it were longer!  It is always thus with good books.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€