"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: New medieval shopping site Ooooooo :)  (Read 13750 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
New medieval shopping site Ooooooo :)
« on: 2015-02-26, 23:59:50 »
http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/
Found this looking for pouches. Sir Edward, if you would please add this to our shopping lists.
Try not to drool guys.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New medieval shopping site Ooooooo :)
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-27, 00:36:03 »
I've known about that one for a few years, I've heard good things, but no personal experiences with him.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-27, 03:03:20 »
His turnshoes are what finally drove me to make my own.  I cut apart pair of his Reimerswaal Turnshoes.  They were close but had some flaws I couldn't overlook.  His turnshoe patterns are generally very good and documentable, his 'turnshoes' are actual turnshoes (in that they are turned properly).

The construction uses some shortcuts (heel stiffeners are glued in instead of stitched).  There's no finishing on the raw edges unfortunately (high quality turnshoes will have leather piping over the raw edges around the opening).  His turnshoes do give the impression of a proper medieval turnshoe upon first glance, so in that respect they're a step above something like the Westland boots that Viking Leathercraft sells.

My big complaint with them is that the soles on his turnshoes were all the super stiff, super-slippery hardened stuff that give period footwear a bad name, making them unusable for some applications where real period footwear shines.  That was what finally made me learn how to produce good period footwear.

**It's important to note only his turnshoe styles use the bad soles.  His other styles like the Jorvik boots offer modern soles.  If his turnshoes had a soft leather sole like the historic examples they'd be an awesome commercial product, but until then I can't recommend his turnshoes**
« Last Edit: 2015-02-27, 16:29:16 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-27, 05:36:37 »
I fight in a pair of his 2 toggle jorvik boots and have for years.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-02, 19:28:41 »
http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/
Found this looking for pouches. Sir Edward, if you would please add this to our shopping lists.
Try not to drool guys.

He's already on the links page.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-07, 13:41:39 »
I just ordered his jorvik 2 toggles with vibram soles for my LARP kit. I spend lots of my time on the kitchen and as Ian pointed out his leather soles are too stiff and slippery. For my 14th century kit I will make my own :)

If it is just for SCA fighting or LARP/Renn Faire's his stuff is good...you can't notice the vibram soles unless you ask to see them.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-10, 18:46:17 »
I've been ogling his medieval high boots for years- the ones with all the buckles, can't recall the name.  But I never could discern whether or not they were historically plausible (despite him saying so, I need more than his word).  Anyone seen them, wish to weigh in?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-10, 19:19:36 »
I've been ogling his medieval high boots for years- the ones with all the buckles, can't recall the name.  But I never could discern whether or not they were historically plausible (despite him saying so, I need more than his word).  Anyone seen them, wish to weigh in?

These?

They are based on an archaeological find from Konstanz, Germany.  The actual survival was just a bit of the calf/leg part.  1 pewter buckle survived along with 4 other straps, but they can tell the original would have head 10 buckled straps.  The foot part did not survive and the reconstruction of the foot is hypothetical based on the appropriate style of other contemporary shoes.  The original dates specifically to 15th century Germany (not the "Dated 13th through 16th Century all throughout Europe." that is claimed on the website), and because of it's uniqueness is listed as an exception.  So the design is sound and documentable for the most part, just not as broadly used as implied by the site.  Bohemond did a nice job on these.  I would just be wary of the potential for the hardened leather soles that inexplicably accompany is turned style shoes/boots as they are usually very slick.

All that being said he's currently re-designing them and only has a few of the originals in stock until the new ones come out.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-10, 19:28:00 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-10, 23:05:49 »
Id love some of his Saxon or Cavalier boots just for GP & riding purposes.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-11, 14:22:34 »
Thanks Sir Ian.  I hoped it would be viable for 13th but knew there was small chance of that.  Ah well, 15th- maybe one day.  What did the folks prior to that time have against long boots?  Probably the usage of so much material.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-11, 16:17:43 »
Thanks Sir Ian.  I hoped it would be viable for 13th but knew there was small chance of that.  Ah well, 15th- maybe one day.  What did the folks prior to that time have against long boots?  Probably the usage of so much material.

Winnegas & other leg wraps aren't so bad, till you go to bed at night or dress in the morning.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2015-03-11, 17:59:36 »

Ah, so I think I figured out where Boots by Bohemond got their dating.  That particular find is referred to in 3 different sections of Stepping Through Time, and it's referred to as 15th century in all of them, multiple times, except one section where in the caption it says 13th century.  So I think 13th century is just a typo, and Boots by Bohemond kinda ran with it.

In the book Archaelogical Footwear:  Development of shoe patterns and styles from Prehistory till the 1600s, there are a few examples of higher boots from the 13th century based on finds from Oslo, Norway.  They don't look nearly as fancy as the Konstanz find though.  There are other examples of 13th century boots elsewhere in Stepping Through Time as wells, in particular a nice below the knee boot from Schleswig.  Most medieval boots do not have any means of closure.  They were just pulled on.  That's why the Konstanz find is listed as an exception.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-11, 18:08:46 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2015-03-12, 19:55:59 »
Stepping Through Time...I've been on there before.  Need to check them out again.  Thanks again, Sir Ian!

Thorsteinn, winnegas look like a pure PITA to put on and I'm assuming you'd want to roll them up like gauze when taking them off, right?  That'd suck in the midst of a hall burning!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2015-03-12, 21:27:22 »
Stepping Through Time...I've been on there before.  Need to check them out again.  Thanks again, Sir Ian!

Thorsteinn, winnegas look like a pure PITA to put on and I'm assuming you'd want to roll them up like gauze when taking them off, right?  That'd suck in the midst of a hall burning!

Stepping Through Time is a book.  http://www.amazon.com/Stepping-Through-Time-Archaeological-Prehistoric/dp/9089320024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426195624&sr=8-1&keywords=stepping+through+time
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2015-03-13, 13:42:57 »
Sorry, I was thinking of Soles through Time - http://www.solesthrutime.com/