"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Bike Arranged (Was: Is 40k miles a lot for an '85 Honda Magna VF700C?).  (Read 17265 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
We need a 2nd vehicle for me to commute to work and back. In our price range a motorcycle seems the best option. This Saturday I'm looking at a 1985 Honda Magna VF700C with 40,779 miles on it. Is that too many for that bike & motor?

Here's the ad:

$1,475.00 obo
1985 Honda Magna VF700C
700cc Engine
Miles - 40,779

Reupholstered driver and passenger seat
Repainted side covers
New battery
Aftermarket turn signals
Shaft driven
Decent amount of tread life on tires
Small dent on gas tank
Everything is in working order and runs good
Great beginner motorcycle
« Last Edit: 2015-02-28, 06:25:20 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Is 40k miles a lot for an '85 Honda Magna VF700C?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-05, 16:47:08 »
Make and model specifics aside, condition and treatment of the vehicle outweigh mileage.

I bought my current car, driven 100 miles round trip for work every day, about 2 1/2 years ago - with 99k miles on it, and it reached 149k miles today. Aside from modifications for the fun of it, I've only done oil changes, filter, spark plugs, brake pads, rotors... the simple maintenance items (and one recall). However, before I bought it, I pulled the history report on it, verified it only had 2 owners, all service was done on time (or ahead of schedule), etc.

If you know somebody who is good with motorcycles, take them with you to evaluate the condition. Only thing I can think of is that the "dent in gas tank" may be from it being either knocked over or someone fell off of it while riding ("dropped" in motorcycle speak, I think). The picture looks great for a bike that is 30 years old, but if it doesn't run well or has major mechanical problems.........

(I had an 85 or 86 Honda VFR700 about 20 years ago but never got past learner's permit, and the engine seized while in storage)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-05, 19:58:23 »
That old and only 44k? Seems amazing. My first car was a '95 Cavalier with 90k and the next was a '97 Concorde with 135k. I got lucky with my current car only having 44k.

It doesn't seem like it was driven all that much. Seems like grandma just took the bike to the cemetery and back on occasion. With that in mind, there could be some issues with the bike from sitting idle for long stretches or just from age.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-05, 21:00:18 »
Well please keep in mind that most bikes don't age like cars. BMW's are renowned for doing 100k miles. I've heard of some model's & some engines being good but this one is beyond my knowledge. I used to commute on an 86' Nighthawk 450 but parts were a bitch to find.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-05, 22:21:27 »
I don't know anything about motorcycles other than I'd slap you in the face if you got a sport bike instead of a cruiser, so it looks like you're on the righteous path.  :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-06, 01:34:15 »
buy it!!!!!!!!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-06, 16:27:54 »
I talked my friend/coworker who is a motorcycle guy, and he pretty much echoed what James said. See if you can check it out, maybe take a test-ride. Mileage is probably fine as long as it's been well maintained.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-07, 19:58:27 »
So I test rode the '85 700cc Honda Magna with 40k miles that the kid wanted $1400 for. Shaft Drive is interesting, and the bike has never been dropped. The V-4 was less spry than I would have thought, the bike was less nimble than I had hoped, it was the California Emissions model, the seller was a college kid that didn't seem to know much about the mechanicals & whatnot of the bike, and the front brakes will need work soon. Comfy to ride though, however the load limit was only 375lbs.

Tamalyn is above 175lbs and I'm 250 so we'd be 50lbs over limit for riding together.

NADA Guides say the bike is worth no more than $1000 in it's condition. I'm tempted to offer $800. Thoughts?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2015-02-07, 22:45:49 »
Nevermind. My wife pointed out that one of the big reasons for us to get a bike was so that she could join me on there & while I might not worry with a newer, less stressed engine, this one wasn't settling my mind.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2015-02-08, 00:48:18 »
Nevermind. My wife pointed out that one of the big reasons for us to get a bike was so that she could join me on there & while I might not worry with a newer, less stressed engine, this one wasn't settling my mind.

Or just lose 50 lbs :)
My Pinterest

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2015-02-08, 02:19:33 »
Oh we will but that's a project of 6 months, and it wasn't the deal killer, it was just the cherry.

The more we thought about it all the more it seemed less than a good idea. If I had dealt with the main mechanic for the bike (the Uncle of the seller) I might have been less hesitant, but I was warned to ask questions about the engine, transmission, & parts availability. His answers didn't make me confident.

But damn did it feel good to ride again.

(BTW when I get a bike I will wear my kit on it for a photo.)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2015-02-08, 02:34:57 »

Here's what I'm looking at tomorrow, a 1994 Suzuki VZ800 Intruder. A v-twin shaft drive bike with 9879 miles on it.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2015-02-08, 21:27:55 »
Damn. The Suzuki v-twin I looked at had been dumped and the guy, a motorcycle mechanic, lied about it. He also wanted as much as it would have been worth in great shape & called it a "winter special price".

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #13 on: 2015-02-09, 06:06:49 »
It's a sign: The biker gods want you to get a Harley.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2015-02-09, 14:41:02 »
It's a sign: The biker gods want you to get a Harley.

So it shall be written...
My Pinterest