Main > The Round Table

Why do you want to be a Knight?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir James A:
Quite the loaded question! Pardon the long paragraph...

When I was young, I wanted to be a knight. I grew up with an interest in medieval weapons and armor, both European and Japanese, through movies and games. I wanted a suit of armor, a sword, a horse, a castle, and so on. I like weapons and armor. I like WMA/HEMA. I like the excitement kids get when someone in armor talks to them. I had that experience as a teenager. About 20 years ago I got my first (not wooden) sword, and about 15 years ago I got my first suit of armor (that wasn't cardboard or carpet). I did one year of SCA combat. With armor, with a sword, even with fighting, I didn't FEEL like a knight. I quit seeking it. I never went back to the SCA. I went to the MD Renn Faire in mundane clothing for the next decade. More than 10 years after I quit chasing knighthood, the Order was founded, I had a renewed interest in the concept, and though I didn't ask it or feel worthy, I was put forth for the accolade. Now, I simply try to live up to the honor.

Sir Edward:

Loaded question indeed. :)

While pages upon pages can be written on the topic, if I just summarize down to a couple of sentences, then simply put: I had always been seeking knighthood, for many years without realizing it, as simply an outward expression of what I was already inwardly doing. It's a combination of tasting the edge of a historically inspired adventure, as well as providing inspiration and incentive to "keep me honest" so to speak, and help me to stay on the path that I had set out for myself at an early age, to uphold virtues such as honesty, honor, courage, humility, loyalty, and courtesy. The martial aspect is simply icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned, since swords had a lot to do with how I got drawn to this whole historical thing to begin with. :)

Mike W.:
Knighthood is merely a human construct, a labeling of sorts for a path of life many seek but few follow. Knighthood in its truest sense (not in its historical sense) to me embodies a lifestyle of self-improvement and servitude. Love yourself and love others. But what makes Knighthood standout is that it calls those who pursue it to actually exercise that love. Love without works is empty and meaningless. I want to be a knight  so I can help myself to help others. Being a knight is more than just holding open a door, or giving a seat to a lady. It is about service to the community, about helping someone and not bragging about it, about focusing on mental and physical cultivation. Knighthood is a calling to be the best version of yourself. That is what I seek. I want to be the best that I can be, so I can have more to offer the world. And I would like to offer that to the world through volunteering for the poor, the sick, the elderly, the needy. I, for one, have a strong desire to become a member of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes, and of Malta. For they are the last remnants of medieval knighthood. They've been around for 1000 continuous years, and though they do not fight any more, they serve the world through humanitarian aid. They put their money where their mouth is so to speak, and every knight should do that. I aspire to not only be a good person, but to actually exercise that goodness.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2015-01-22, 19:50:59 ---Knighthood is merely a human construct, a labeling of sorts for a path of life many seek but few follow. Knighthood in its truest sense (not in its historical sense) to me embodies a lifestyle of self-improvement and servitude. Love yourself and love others. But what makes Knighthood standout is that it calls those who pursue it to actually exercise that love. Love without works is empty and meaningless. I want to be a knight  so I can help myself to help others. Being a knight is more than just holding open a door, or giving a seat to a lady. It is about service to the community, about helping someone and not bragging about it, about focusing on mental and physical cultivation. Knighthood is a calling to be the best version of yourself. That is what I seek. I want to be the best that I can be, so I can have more to offer the world. And I would like to offer that to the world through volunteering for the poor, the sick, the elderly, the needy. I, for one, have a strong desire to become a member of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes, and of Malta. For they are the last remnants of medieval knighthood. They've been around for 1000 continuous years, and though they do not fight any more, they serve the world through humanitarian aid. They put their money where their mouth is so to speak, and every knight should do that. I aspire to not only be a good person, but to actually exercise that goodness.

--- End quote ---
I think that is why it is so good that members of the Order such as Ed and Brian, Organize Demos for to raise money for charity.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2015-01-21, 14:39:38 ---
Loaded question indeed. :)

While pages upon pages can be written on the topic, if I just summarize down to a couple of sentences, then simply put: I had always been seeking knighthood, for many years without realizing it, as simply an outward expression of what I was already inwardly doing. It's a combination of tasting the edge of a historically inspired adventure, as well as providing inspiration and incentive to "keep me honest" so to speak, and help me to stay on the path that I had set out for myself at an early age, to uphold virtues such as honesty, honor, courage, humility, loyalty, and courtesy. The martial aspect is simply icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned, since swords had a lot to do with how I got drawn to this whole historical thing to begin with. :)

--- End quote ---

when I explain that it is very important for knight to uphold Honesty,honor, courage, humility, loyalty, and courtesy.  Most of those are really just every day life. I find some of them more passive like Honor and loyalty. Yet others more immediate, like Courage, Honesty, and courage. Humility is an in between for me, since it can be self acceptance. It goes with being able to shake off if people mock you, and not being too proud and stuck up to take jokes. Even to tell the difference.
I think the point I'm trying to make, is that I forget how difficult these virtues are, or how many people are lacking in them/ how hard it is for some to amount to them. I think since Ive surrounded myself with so many like minded people and been accepted by them, I forget how unique these virtues are in today's society at times. Other times I find members of society lacking in them extremely.

Heh, sorry that I cut into a different subject like that :P

Sir Brian:
There are many fine and accurate examples that has been listed of both the historic and modern philosophical conceptions of knighthood. For me it was a slow realization that I had been on a chivalric path my entire life and one that really didn't come to fully understand until I met other men and women walking the same path and it is both surprising and regrettably disappointing of how few folks are on this journey we share in common.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version