Main > The Round Table

Why do you want to be a Knight?

(1/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
I asked this question on the West Kingdom Unbelts Facebook page:

In one paragraph or less "Why do you want to be a Knight?"

And no fair trying to use Protestant-inspired Renaissance Philosophy to try and re-frame the question to try and get out of it. My skills of Bull**** Artistry (aka Standup Philosophizing) are strong.

Thorsteinn:
I want to be a Knight, to wear the Whitebelt, for a few reasons: Because it would be a recognition from my peers that I'm good at my art, that all my hard work & pain meant something to them. As a social symbol it will be one to wash away the inherent doubt I see of my words, as so often there is just because I see different. It would be a symbol to the one's afflicted like myself that finally we will be accepted for who we are and judged not by our labels but by the quality of our deeds. One must be first so why not me? Why am I not good enough? Why can't I be the harbinger of change?

Aiden of Oreland:
I want to be a knight for a few reason. But I find it difficult at times for people to understand my path to knight hood. In the eyes of my peers and most of society around me this is a childish and dorky goal. For us that are here right now understand that this is an achievement of ones path to chivalry. In the Middle Ages this was an extremely important title and to a degree it still is today. I seek to become a knight to show people the kind of character I am and the dedication I have placed into my life. Also, I believe it helps create a symbol so that others may feel the courage to do right and even possibly seek to become a knight. Becoming a knight, like I said, would mark an achievement in my life. It is something that I would have spent a large portion of my life to obtain the honor of that title. Much like when one works for his doctors.

scott2978:
Though  I don't have an answer to the question, I do want to relate an interesting thought that occurred to me when thinking about it.

There are many forms of "knight" these days: knight of the order of the Marshall, knight of the SCA, and others including actual, real knighthood. Back in the medieval period becoming a knight was much more straightforward than it is today. Depending on culture, there were but few clear paths to knighthood. To harmlessly (and greatly) oversimplify matters, either you were born to it, or you paid for it, or some such straightforward means (with occasional and comparatively rare field promotions etc). There was rarely a question of how famous a person one was, or how skilled, or how virtuous or even how rich. But today to become a knight of even our non-noble knighthoods require great degrees of proof and evidence that you're worthy of the title. I'm not complaining, just making an interesting observation.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2015-01-20, 20:22:05 ---Though  I don't have an answer to the question, I do want to relate an interesting thought that occurred to me when thinking about it.

There are many forms of "knight" these days: knight of the order of the Marshall, knight of the SCA, and others including actual, real knighthood. Back in the medieval period becoming a knight was much more straightforward than it is today. Depending on culture, there were but few clear paths to knighthood. To harmlessly (and greatly) oversimplify matters, either you were born to it, or you paid for it, or some such straightforward means (with occasional and comparatively rare field promotions etc). There was rarely a question of how famous a person one was, or how skilled, or how virtuous or even how rich. But today to become a knight of even our non-noble knighthoods require great degrees of proof and evidence that you're worthy of the title. I'm not complaining, just making an interesting observation.

--- End quote ---

Well in the christian military orders, it was still possible for men of lower class to achieve knight hood, but it took a lot more time than the wealthy. (time and proving yourself)

As my thoughts on why I want to be a knight because I feel it goes hand and hand with everything I am doing in life, trying to be a worthy order member, becoming catholic, and re-enacting a 12th century Templar. I do not know how strong my skills of philosophizing are, but I don't think it should be ruled out. If someone Believes they should be a knight of some sort in the modern world because of whatever inspirations, I say let them strive for it.
It also comes down to what I grew up with: Knights in shining armor. So why not try to amount to that? although much of my intentions certainly have changed this past year. Especially with the desire of accuracy being impeded into me by myself.  Come to think of it, my want to become knight was pretty selfish. I didn't do it for anyone else originally, now I feel I'm making a point for the greater good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version