Main > The Courtyard

Katana vs. Longsword

(1/7) > >>

Sir Hancz:
So, I just got done watching this video on the katana vs the longsword, and I feel it was a completely biased video. Here's the link to the video:
You may wonder, why do I feel this way? Well, please watch the video first. The producers of this video have no idea how these weapons were actually used, better yet, they don't know how to use them correctly! The katana was a slicing or cutting sword, and the longsword was used to penetrate certain weak parts of a knight's armor. I just feel this was a very biased and unfair comparison, anyone agree? Leave a comment, i'd like to hear your thoughts!  :)

Sir Douglas:
Yeah, there are videos like that out there from both sides of the argument ad nauseam, but for some reason the "mainstream" stuff always seems to be biased towards katanas. No idea why. Must have something to do with the East being "mystical" and "ZOMG! Ninjas!"

My take on it: Both weapons evolved in different environments to perform different functions and utilize different fighting styles against different targets. They both did what they were designed to do and they both did it well enough to stick around for x number of centuries. To say one is "better" than the other is like saying apples are better than oranges: they're both fruit, they both taste good, and they'll both keep you from starving, but some people prefer one to the other.

Personally, I'd take a longsword over a katana any day, but that's more of an aesthetic choice since I can't wield either one worth darn. ;)

Sir Hancz:

--- Quote from: Sir Douglas on 2015-01-03, 01:45:10 ---Yeah, there are videos like that out there from both sides of the argument ad nauseam, but for some reason the "mainstream" stuff always seems to be biased towards katanas. No idea why. Must have something to do with the East being "mystical" and "ZOMG! Ninjas!"

My take on it: Both weapons evolved in different environments to perform different functions and utilize different fighting styles against different targets. They both did what they were designed to do and they both did it well enough to stick around for x number of centuries. To say one is "better" than the other is like saying apples are better than oranges: they're both fruit, they both taste good, and they'll both keep you from starving, but some people prefer one to the other.

Personally, I'd take a longsword over a katana any day, but that's more of an aesthetic choice since I can't wield either one worth darn. ;)

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with you about the fact that both weapons developed in different environments and were made for different purposes, but this whole "OMG NINJAS" stereotype needs to end already. In medieval times, Europe and Japan were completely different from each other, and I don't believe Europe went to war against Japan, so you can't really compare equipment with them. Thanks for your reply! I was just looking to see people's take on this.

Thorsteinn:
Hancz have you watched Matt Easton's vids on Schola Gladiatoria's Channel like this one?

BTW if you post a vid link it will do the in message play window so long as you remove the 's' at the end of http.

Sir Hancz:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2015-01-03, 03:08:23 ---Hancz have you watched Matt Easton's vids on Schola Gladiatoria's Channel like this one?

BTW if you post a vid link it will do the in message play window so long as you remove the 's' at the end of http.

--- End quote ---
Ahh, thanks for the video and comment! Yes, I just don't like how people favor one type of weapon/armor set, and then not know anything about it or how it was used, and then praise it saying its better than other things. If you at least know what you are talking about, then I respect your opinion. Again, thanks for the video and reply!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version