"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Poll

Which day(s)?

Jan 31
1 (7.1%)
Feb 7
6 (42.9%)
Feb 14
0 (0%)
Feb 21
3 (21.4%)
Feb 28
2 (14.3%)
Mar 7
2 (14.3%)
Mar 14
0 (0%)
Mar 21
0 (0%)
Mar 28
0 (0%)
Apr 4
0 (0%)
Apr 11
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Medieval Madness 2015  (Read 22181 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Medieval Madness 2015
« Reply #15 on: 2015-01-22, 20:13:49 »
Thanks everyone for coordinating to make this possible. I anxiously look forward to meeting some of you, and seeing others again soon. I've done all I can to make this event possible with minimal effort on your part. Currently, the only thing you are all responsible for now is purchasing your tickets. I'm sure many, if not all of you have already done so. The deadline for the discounted tickets has already passed. If you haven't yet bought them, you will be paying full price now.

Here's the list of attendees (21 total):
Mike +1
Ed +1
Brian +1
James +2
Jason +1
Martin +3
Nate M. +3
Nate Q.
David

Here are a few reminders:

1) You need to print out the ticket confirmation email with the codes and bring it with you. Without this, you will NOT be let in.
If you do not have the ability to print your confirmation codes, you are welcome to forward your confirmation email to me and I will print them for you and give it to you before the dinner on the 7th.

2) There is no need to call Medieval Madness about reservations. I have already taken care of that. If you arrive before I do, indicate that you are with the Wilburn party of 21. I will try to get there early, so this shouldn't be necessary. You DO need to call Medieval Madness (703-329-3075) if you are a vegetarian.

3) Either two ales or one wine is included with your ticket purchase. You WILL want more. The drinks there are f***ing amazing. Be prepared to spend a little extra.

4) Aim to be in Alexandria by 1630-1700 so you can find parking and walk to the restaurant. Free parking is available, but it requires a keen eye, good luck, and a bit more walking. A parking garage is nearby for $4. If you take Metro, the closest stop is King St. Station. We'll meet in the tavern on the first floor at 1700-1730. You're welcome to pre-game it down there if you want. We'll be let in at 1730 and the show starts at 1800.

5) You're welcome to wear your garb. I intend to at least. I shouldn't have to say this, but be prepared for strange looks.

6) If you are running late, having other issues, or need to cancel, call me at 301-758-2410.

« Last Edit: 2017-01-31, 18:49:16 by Mike W. »
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2015-01-23, 02:20:02 »
Strange looks do come, yet all the shout outs don't come until later in the night.
To those unfamiliar with Military/ european time (though that may just be me)
17:00 is 5:00 P.M.
Show starts at 6 P.M.
;)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2015-01-23, 19:01:27 »

Just a reminder to everyone (same as last year) that you might want to leave swords at home, due to limited space. While they have moved into a larger venue, from what I understand it's still pretty tightly packed.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #18 on: 2015-01-24, 00:26:13 »

Just a reminder to everyone (same as last year) that you might want to leave swords at home, due to limited space. While they have moved into a larger venue, from what I understand it's still pretty tightly packed.

No swords. :( *Sigh* Oh well. I'll bring extra beverage then. :) :) Of course, a dagger is easy to wear & unobtrusive.
A bottle of mead & a fine bottle of my favorite Prosecco shall do it. Maybe a nice sparkling Spanish cava too.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-24, 00:42:33 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2015-01-24, 20:47:24 »

No swords. :( *Sigh* Oh well. I'll bring extra beverage then. :) :) Of course, a dagger is easy to wear & unobtrusive.
A bottle of mead & a fine bottle of my favorite Prosecco shall do it. Maybe a nice sparkling Spanish cava too.
well I'm not wearing armor, and If I can manage a wood core scabbard before Feb 7th. I may choose to bring it. Last time I wore my armor (and it was just my butted hauberk) I accidentally killed a fairy. 
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2015-01-25, 12:40:08 »
I would highly recommend against the scabbard for the same reasons as weapons. It'll be in the way. Also, it's doubtful anyone would have worn a sword to a feast. Wearing swords as a fashion accessory wasn't popular until the late Renaissance/early Enlightenment period. My advice - leave it at home

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2015-01-26, 02:37:21 »
I would highly recommend against the scabbard for the same reasons as weapons. It'll be in the way. Also, it's doubtful anyone would have worn a sword to a feast. Wearing swords as a fashion accessory wasn't popular until the late Renaissance/early Enlightenment period. My advice - leave it at home

Agreed. Having eaten many times with a sword (and belt), it's a chore - and may well be the reason I was on my bum at the MD Faerie Festival last year. I think when I moved the chair into place then turned around, and went to sit down, the sword actually pushed the chair out of the way. In full armor, I didn't notice until I was testing gravity and realizing I was way too low and there just wasn't a chair there. Plus, I've been successfully sitting in chairs for decades...

It's not a "can't do it" as far as I know, it's a "not worth the troubles" and "trying to not hit the waiter/waitress, performers, and other people at the bench with you" aspect. It's probably as annoying, or more so, to those around you.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2015-01-26, 13:53:58 »
Theres also no historical precedent whatsoever for wearing a sword at the dinner table. If you aim to be a historical reenactor, don't practice a ahistorical habits.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2015-01-26, 16:47:29 »
Theres also no historical precedent whatsoever for wearing a sword at the dinner table. If you aim to be a historical reenactor, don't practice a ahistorical habits.

:)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2015-01-26, 19:05:40 »

fine Ill wait to demo season
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2015-01-26, 21:59:23 »

fine Ill wait to demo season

You can bring the sword and we can look at it in the car/parking lot before/after dinner. I know you're excited and want to show off the new blade, and we enjoy getting to handle Albions too. Just don't wear it to dinner. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2015-01-27, 16:44:13 »
Then again, if we want to really emulate medieval dining, we need to share cups and knives, cut each other's meat, and not bring our wives or girlfriends to the table until after the meal (we wouldn't want them to dirty themselves with the messy business of eating).

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #27 on: 2015-01-27, 17:34:24 »
Yeah swords are definitely out of the question. I think we should just be simple and bring crossbows, maces, bardiches, and pole arms  ;) May I also suggest nothing of too much value is brought to the event. Things do get lost or misplaced in the excitement of things. We had an incident like that last year. So just be mindful of your things.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2015-01-29, 03:32:00 »
Then again, if we want to really emulate medieval dining, we need to share cups and knives, cut each other's meat, and not bring our wives or girlfriends to the table until after the meal (we wouldn't want them to dirty themselves with the messy business of eating).

Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #29 on: 2015-01-30, 17:13:54 »

That's right. Having no swords at dinner is how the food fight started. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)