"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Did the Anglo Saxons have knights?  (Read 5431 times)

SerTimtheJailer

• New Forum Member
  • In My Sword I Trust
Did the Anglo Saxons have knights?
« on: 2014-12-05, 19:54:50 »
So I know the Anglo Saxons were mostly tribes and they did have a class system, but did they have knights in that time period before they got conquered by the Normans?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Did the Anglo Saxons have knights?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-05, 20:35:52 »
From my understanding Saxon society was based off the Scandinavian hierarchical model, so  think Jarls and Huscarls etc...
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-06, 13:56:02 »
i have some books on teh subject but am not at my library to look into the subject.

they are not knights per say more like land holders. anglo saxons and northmen were more freeman society then even us today in a democracy. land holders were supposed to have men who worked for them that were expected to fight when brought to the table etc.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-08, 22:30:15 »
It's my understanding they were more like land owners who fought as opposed to a dedicated military class (except for the king and earls' huscarls).  Check out the book 1066. It's a great resource on the period.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-09, 18:04:03 »
The Anglo-Saxons didn't participate in warfare on horseback- I believe they would ride to a battle site and then dismount.  As Sir Patrick suggests, that book is an excellent resource for the period.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-14, 01:38:19 »
IIRC don't Knights start to really get footing when the Feudal model kicks in full speedish?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SerTimtheJailer

• New Forum Member
  • In My Sword I Trust
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-14, 02:43:32 »
I think you might be right which would be after 1066 when the Normans invaded but what confused me is the word knight came from the Anglo Saxon language so it made me wonder if the Anglo Saxons had knights of there own before the Normans invaded.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-14, 18:13:47 »
Yeah, the word knight comes from the Old English word cniht (I think I'm spelling that right), which basically just meant "servant", and it eventually evolved into the word knight as we know it today. It's similar to how the word chivalry comes from a French word that meant nothing more than "horsemanship", but it has since taken on a much different meaning.

Fun side fact, cniht also developed into the Germanic word knecht, but they more or less retained the original meaning. So a Landsknecht in the most literal sense is a "Land servant." Words are fun. :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....