"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: RetroN 5 Gaming Console  (Read 4886 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
RetroN 5 Gaming Console
« on: 2014-12-04, 21:11:30 »
Just saw this on one of the YouTube channels I subscribe to and thought some folks here might find it interesting.  It's a RetroN 5 retro gaming console.  It accepts the original cartridges for NES, SNES, Sega Gensis, Gameboy (Regular, Color and Advance), and some other systems.  It also accepts the original NES, SNES and Genesis controllers.

It runs a robust emulator on dedicated hardware so that there's no fussing with making things work.  It works exactly like you would expect the console to function.  Plug in your old gold zelda cartridge and NES controller and play.  Kind of a cool product for people interested in retro gaming without the fuss of either finicky software emulators or old gaming consoles that don't interface well with modern televisions.

Here's the official website:
http://www.retron5.com/

Here's the video of the guy I follow on YouTube that showed off the system:
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: RetroN 5 Gaming Console
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-04, 22:08:37 »
I’m kind of a fan of retro gaming and dang, that's pretty rad. The price really isn’t that bad, either, for something that supports that many consoles as well as some of the original hardware.

Also....lol at the Batknife bit.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-04, 23:48:34 »
Ha, yeah 'Barnacules' is big into 3d printing, and that bat knife is from his ulti-maker or one of his others.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-05, 23:18:00 »
Whoa, that's really neat. I built an emulator box a couple years ago and just hooked it up to my TV and use a standard wired XBox 360 controller; it handles NES / SNES / Genesis but not the Game Boys, and it runs off roms and not physical cartridges. Would make for something I could use for my old games; I've still got the original gold Zelda, the original Final Fantasy, Mario, etc.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-07, 05:18:19 »
Looks like something to add to my list of things to get. I am not much of a console gamer but old ones I absolutely love. So many fond memories with those games.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-09, 18:07:29 »
I saw a 3-d printer doing its thing for the first time up close and personal.  Weird little machine, that.

This gaming console looks like something right up my alley- all my old family faves!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-09, 21:02:05 »
Here's a portable retro gaming device that will support original NES, SNES and Genesis games.  Not as nice as the RetroN 5 but still a very cool idea.

My Pinterest