"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Stronghold Crusader 2  (Read 3808 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Stronghold Crusader 2
« on: 2014-11-05, 03:31:30 »
Anyone here pick up Stronghold Crusader 2 yet?  If so, what’s your opinion?

I was addicted to Stronghold 2, but avoided Stronghold 3 like the plague due to poor reviews.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Stronghold Crusader 2
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-05, 14:05:13 »
Anyone here pick up Stronghold Crusader 2 yet?  If so, what’s your opinion?

I was addicted to Stronghold 2, but avoided Stronghold 3 like the plague due to poor reviews.

I haven't tried Crusader no, but I'll certainly put in my $0.02 on 2 vs 3.  Stronghold 2 was a fantastic game. I loved it to death. But I just couldn't get into 3. The interface was more clunky in feel, the difficulty ramped up way too quickly at the beginning, and some of the things you took for granted in the earlier games didn't work well anymore.

Example: Buildings like the Barracks and Armory, that had stone structure and could be used as part of your wall, had placement problems. The collision-box around them was large enough that they couldn't touch each other at all, and had a minimum gap that was large enough to march troops through. However, it would allow you to make that gap small enough that you could no longer put a connecting wall between them. Wall placement had a minimum distance between connection points.

Issues like that simply made it infuriating to play.

Supposedly they patched a lot of that later, but I don't know how much of an improvement it was. I should take another look at it one of these days. But I was so discouraged that I just never returned to it.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-05, 14:07:24 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )