"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: It was great to meet members at DOK!  (Read 4798 times)

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
It was great to meet members at DOK!
« on: 2014-10-16, 03:17:10 »
DOK was a great experiance.  I was pleased to be able to meet members of the order for the first time this year and to get reacquainted with those I met last year.  Thanks for your friendship. 

Doug David and Ian LaSpina have graciously agreed to sponser me for yoeman membership in the order.  Where do I go from here to officially apply? 

Sir Humphrey (Mark Hubbs)
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
Re: It was great to meet members at DOK!
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-16, 05:46:26 »
I'm very curious. It's been ages since I've done any living history and DOK feels kinda intimidating. What exactly was it like?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-16, 11:39:59 »
Mark it was great to see you again this year. You don't need to do anything with regards to order membership. The necessary discussion is already talking place and being voted on.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-16, 14:05:12 »
Doug David and Ian LaSpina have graciously agreed to sponser me for yoeman membership in the order.  Where do I go from here to officially apply? 

Mark it was great to see you again this year. You don't need to do anything with regards to order membership. The necessary discussion is already talking place and being voted on.

Also as a correction, "Page" is the introductory rank, with a minimum of 90 days before advancing to Yeoman.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-16, 17:22:07 »
I'm very curious. It's been ages since I've done any living history and DOK feels kinda intimidating. What exactly was it like?

It's somewhat "living history light", as the best description I've heard. Make your best effort, but everyone has things they want to improve on, and I'd say 90% have some kind of modern shame that they hide. Your kit would, in my opinion, be very appropriate for such an event.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-16, 18:34:12 »

I was a bit intimidated, too, as I had never done any kind of living history at all. But once I got there and started seeing how it all worked, I felt very at ease. If you've done LH stuff before, then you'd probably have no problem with DoK. Like Sir James said, it's a bit on the "living history light" side. Not to say that it's a total free-for-all, but it's not super strict either.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-17, 00:39:39 »

[/quote] Also as a correction, "Page" is the introductory rank, with a minimum of 90 days before advancing to Yeoman.
[/quote]

Sir Edward, I stand corrected.  A Page I shall be.

Humphrey
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/