"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Making a Quilted Aventail  (Read 37519 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Making a Quilted Aventail
« Reply #30 on: 2014-07-30, 02:26:37 »
While not the best photo of my finished product, this one was recently taken at Lilies War 2014.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2014-07-30, 12:30:41 »
Looks good Scott!  I've always loved how you did your bar-grill in the shape of a houndskull.  That's really cool!

Oh, and the guy on the right for some reason makes me think of Sir Bedivere from Monty Python. :)

« Last Edit: 2014-07-30, 12:32:19 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #32 on: 2014-07-30, 22:22:59 »
Looks good Scott!  I've always loved how you did your bar-grill in the shape of a houndskull.  That's really cool!

Oh, and the guy on the right for some reason makes me think of Sir Bedivere from Monty Python. :)

HA!   :D

The guy on the right is Gareth the Black, Historian for Mercenary Company Nevermore, a brother in arms, and a great friend.  He’s been fighting in the exact same armour for more than 20 years.   :o

This year he broke down and started making plans for a new kit with lots of mail, new helm, etc.  He’s shooting for 1275 - 1300 ish.

But, being the incredibly smart newlywed that he is, he used those funds to purchase a beautiful lamellar armour for his bride (who also fights in the SCA).  ;) :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2014-08-01, 01:00:18 »
I know the picture is for the padded aventail, but like Sir Ian, my eyes were drawn to the bar-grill pig face bascinet. Very cool!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #34 on: 2014-11-15, 18:08:28 »
I think your harness looks damn nice Lord Rodney.

The shape of an aventail liner can look deceptively simple, but you really did a great job.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #35 on: 2014-11-16, 05:26:08 »
Thanks for the kind comments all.  Now I just have to get off my butt and start the new pourpoint.   ;)