"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Hello from the north.  (Read 12960 times)

Kenneth

• New Forum Member
Re: Hello from the north.
« Reply #15 on: 2014-10-03, 20:22:20 »
Ah yes, we have something here called Krigslive (Warlive) based in the warhammer world where people sign up and must play as units.

Personally, something like a historical LARP would make me a very happy man, but in LARP'ing "historical" is as much frowned upon as elves and trolls in reenactment, so I seem to be stuck between "two worlds" as it were.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-10-03, 21:30:22 »
Ah yes, we have something here called Krigslive (Warlive) based in the warhammer world where people sign up and must play as units.

Personally, something like a historical LARP would make me a very happy man, but in LARP'ing "historical" is as much frowned upon as elves and trolls in reenactment, so I seem to be stuck between "two worlds" as it were.
Welcome to the Forum!
I used to be interested in LARP. Im not against it now but Its not in my cup of tea.
14th century is good, But what is 14th century without the 13th Century!!!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-03, 21:34:18 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #17 on: 2014-10-03, 21:49:34 »
Welcome to the Forums!
We're a fairly diverse group here with a wide array of interests. I'm sure you'll find something to suit your tastes. :)

Hey, I've seen this guy before! Or this photo at least. I just naturally assumed he was a Battle Pope. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Kenneth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2014-10-03, 21:53:30 »
I must admit that my interest in the 14th century has a lot to do with the armour worn.
When I think of knights the image that pops into my head is always that of a mid-late 14th cent knight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2014-10-04, 19:36:39 »
Hey, I've seen this guy before! Or this photo at least. I just naturally assumed he was a Battle Pope. ;)

He does wield the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #20 on: 2014-10-05, 14:52:49 »
LOL

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #21 on: 2014-10-05, 22:59:06 »
Hail and well met!
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #22 on: 2014-10-07, 00:48:31 »
Well met Kenneth. You can hardly go wrong with late 14th century as your ultimate goal for an impression, but it's going to take a while to get there. Always remember when assembling a new harness - be patient! You'll probably find that your impression will evolve over time as your tastes become more refined and you more fully realize what you like and don't like. The quality of your gear will also probably improve as your knowledge of both history and modern reproductions gets better. The more patient and careful you are about acquiring your harness the better it will be and the less it will cost. Of course it also depends on what you want to own armor for. For living history events, renfaire, combat societies, etc all have different requirements. You can get some great advice from folks here on all those subjects.

Scott

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #23 on: 2014-10-07, 02:42:44 »
Well met Kenneth!

The folks on this forum are from all walks of medieval life: HEMA, other WMA, SCA, LARP, Living History, Renaissance Festival goers, etc.  As stated earlier, if you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.   ;)

I understand the “between two worlds” thing and I believe it’s natural and good.  I started out doing nothing but beating my friends over the head with rattan for over 10 years, and I was happy.  Then I saw some awesome kits on this and other forums and decided to move in a more historically accurate direction.  I have a LONG way to go.  Then I was fascinated by German longsword techniques and took a few classes.  I have a VERY long way to go.   :o

That being said, it’s more about the journey than the destination.  Have fun!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Kenneth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: 2014-10-07, 12:11:06 »
It's hard not to feel a very warm welcome with all these replies ^^

I'll be heading more in a mid 14th cent direction though, found a few effigies I really like from that period.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/1104/2579/
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/646/852/

I'll be starting with the soft kit and move from the inside out, the plate armour I'll be making myself as my main interest is still armour construction, so at least some money to save there.
I'll proberbly be making stuff from several different periods though at some point.

And I know full well what it takes to put together a kit, spent 3-4 years on my 21st century SAS kit...it's alot of work but very satisfying when you get it done.

I must admit though that at times I envy you from the US...the problem with living in a very small country is that alot of things isn't available.
I wanted to get into the SCA but the closest group is in Stockholm which is still to far from me sadly, and as mentioned, most living history here is viking age.
I did find a HEMA group here in Copenhagen who even train at the Copenhagen National Museeum...but I have to be honest and say that unarmoured swordfighting dosn't really interest me that much.

But who knows, maybe I can convert some of my fellow LARP'ers to the glorious world of history ^^

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2014-10-07, 14:34:08 »
Kenneth, welcome to the forums, we have a great group of guys here.

P.S. That battle cleric guy's rig is awesome.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-07, 14:35:15 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #26 on: 2014-10-07, 22:02:38 »
Greetings! I too am interested in the 14th century, awesome clothing and armor then!